How to Implement a Two-Parameter Asymptotic Expansion in Mathematica?

• Thread starter squenshl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematica
In summary, to implement the series k(tilde) = k0 + \sum_{i,j} ki,j \epsilon1^i \epsilon2^j into Mathematica, you can use the built-in functions Table, LogicalExpand, Solve, Simplify, and O to generate, simplify, and solve for the constants in the series.
squenshl

Homework Statement

How do I implement the series k(tilde) = k0 + [itex]\sum_{i,j}[/itex] ki,j [itex]\epsilon[/itex]1i [itex]\epsilon[/itex]2j into Mathematica.
This is a 2 parameter asymptotic expansion and I am plugging this into my equation I am trying to solve.
Also I don't know how to implement the O[[itex]\epsilon[/itex]1} and O[[itex]\epsilon[/itex]2] terms in the file as well.
Note I am using the LogicalExpand[...] then Solve[..] to get my constants k1, k2, ...

Homework Equations

k0 = -π/sqrt(3)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried k-tilde = k0+Sum[k[i,j]*[itex]\epsilon[/itex]1^i*[itex]\epsilon[/itex]2^j,{i,1,5},{j,1,5}] in Mathematica but this isn't correct.
Someone please help.

Physics news on Phys.org

I would suggest breaking down the problem into smaller steps and using Mathematica's built-in functions to solve it. Here's one possible approach:

1. Define the parameters and constants:
k0 = -π/Sqrt[3]; (*define k0*)
k[i_,j_] := Subscript[k, i,j]; (*define k[i,j] as a function*)
ε1 = Subscript[ε, 1]; (*define ε1*)
ε2 = Subscript[ε, 2]; (*define ε2*)

2. Use Table to generate the terms in the series:
ktilde = k0 + Sum[k[i,j]*ε1^i*ε2^j,{i,1,5},{j,1,5}] (*generate the series*)

3. Use LogicalExpand to simplify the series:
ktilde = LogicalExpand[ktilde] (*simplify the series*)

4. Solve for the constants:
Solve[ktilde == your_equation, {k[1,1], k[1,2], k[2,1], k[2,2], k[3,1], k[3,2], k[4,1], k[4,2], k[5,1], k[5,2]}] (*solve for the constants*)

5. Substitute the solutions into the original series:
ktilde = ktilde /. sol (*substitute the solutions into the series*)

6. Use Simplify to further simplify the series:
ktilde = Simplify[ktilde] (*simplify the series*)

7. Finally, add the O[ε1] and O[ε2] terms to the series:
ktilde = ktilde + O[ε1] + O[ε2] (*add the O[ε1] and O[ε2] terms*)

This should give you the desired result. Keep in mind that there may be other approaches to solving this problem, so feel free to explore and find what works best for you.

Related to How to Implement a Two-Parameter Asymptotic Expansion in Mathematica?

1. Why is Mathematica giving me an error message?

There could be several reasons why Mathematica is giving you an error message. It could be due to a syntax error in your code, an undefined variable, or an issue with your input data. Make sure to check your code for any mistakes and carefully review the error message for clues on what went wrong.

2. How do I plot a function in Mathematica?

To plot a function in Mathematica, you can use the Plot function. For example, to plot the function f(x) = x^2, you can use the code Plot[x^2, {x, 0, 10}]. This will generate a plot of the function from x = 0 to x = 10. You can also add options such as PlotRange and PlotStyle to customize your plot.

3. How can I solve an equation in Mathematica?

To solve an equation in Mathematica, you can use the Solve function. For example, to solve the equation x^2 + 2x - 3 = 0, you can use the code Solve[x^2 + 2x - 3 == 0, x]. This will give you the solutions for x in the form of a list. You can also use the NSolve function for numerical solutions.

4. How do I import data into Mathematica?

To import data into Mathematica, you can use the Import function. For example, to import a CSV file, you can use the code data = Import["file.csv"]. This will create a list of data from the CSV file, which you can then manipulate and use in your Mathematica code.

5. How can I export a plot or data from Mathematica?

To export a plot or data from Mathematica, you can use the Export function. For example, to export a plot as a PNG file, you can use the code Export["plot.png", plot]. You can also export data in various formats such as CSV, TXT, and Excel using the Export function.