Why Is the Derivative of the Function Set as a Constant in Classical Dynamics?

• I
  • Thread starter romsofia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Constant
In summary, the conversation involves a discussion about justifying an equation used in a classical mechanics problem involving a particle in a constant force field. The equation involves an integral and the use of the Euler-Lagrange equation. The book suggests setting a constant equal to 1 over the square root of a new constant, but the justification for this is unclear. The conversation ends with a request for help in understanding this step.
romsofia
Hey, I am going to be a TA for an upper division classical mechanics class, and I'm going through the book, and making sure I can derive, or be able to justify equations used in the book. So far it has been okay, but one equation I can't justify. I will post the derivation here (or for those who have it, page 212 in Classical Dynamics by Thornton/Marion).The problem I'm sure we are all familiar with is given a particle in a constant force field, we need to find the path that the particle can take in the least amount of time.

So, let's begin: We assume our particle starts at rest at the origin ##x_1, y_1 ## and goes to some point ## x_2, y_2 ## We ignore friction in this problem, so our field in conservative thus T+U= Constant. We start measuring the particle at ## x = 0, U(0) = 0 ## and with the particle starting at rest, ## T+U = 0## which implies that ## T = - U ## thus, ##\frac{1}{2} mv^2 = mgx ##. This tells us that ## v = \sqrt{2gx} ##. So now let us set up our integral. We will see that ## t = \int^{x_2,y_2}_{x_1,y_2} \frac{ds}{v} ## where ds is the arc length, and v is the velocity. If we expand ds and substitute our velocity, we see the integral becomes: ## t = \int^{x_2,y_2}_{x_1,y_2} \frac{\sqrt{dx^2+dy^2}}{\sqrt{2gx}} ##. Now let us multiply the numerator by ## \frac{dx}{dx} ## to see it become ##\sqrt{(dx^2+dy^2)\frac{dx^2}{dx^2}} \rightarrow \sqrt{dx^2*\frac{dx^2}{dx^2}+dy^2*\frac{dx^2}{dx^2}} \rightarrow \sqrt{dx^2(1+y'^2)} \rightarrow dx* \sqrt{(1+y'^2)} ## (If anyone has an alternate way to justify this step, I'd appreciate it).So now our integral is: ## \int^{x_2}_{0} \frac{\sqrt{(1+y'^2)}}{\sqrt{2gx}} dx \rightarrow \int^{x_2}_{0} \sqrt{\frac{1+y'^2}{2gx}} dx ##Great, so we want a minimum for our time, and we can say our function is : ## \sqrt{\frac{1+y'^2}{x}} ## So let's use our euler lagrange equation. ## \frac{\partial f}{\partial y} = 0 ## because our function doesn't depend of y, so we're left with ## \frac{d}{dx} \frac{\partial f}{\partial y'} = 0 ##. Since the derivative of a constant is equal to 0, we can say that ## \frac{\partial f}{\partial y'} = CONSTANT ##. Now this is the step I can't justify very well, the book just says that ## \frac{\partial f}{\partial y'} = CONSTANT = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2a}} ## which is out of the blue, and would seem like magic to most students, which I don't like. Is there anyway to justify this other than it helps us finish the problem? I don't think any student would have any a priori reason to make the constant equal to this. Maybe I'm over looking something??Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
dextercioby said:
What is "a" equal to?
a is just a "new constant" in their words.

romsofia said:
a is just a "new constant" in their words.

Then the 1 over square root of a constant is a convenient way to note the generic constant. It is convenient because one can later give "a" a meaning in terms of physical variables.

Last edited:

What is a constant?

A constant is a value that does not change throughout an experiment or study. It is usually denoted by a letter or symbol and is used to represent a specific quantity or measurement.

Why is it important to justify a constant?

Justifying a constant is important because it provides a basis for the results and conclusions of an experiment. It ensures that the data collected is accurate and reliable, and helps to eliminate any potential errors or biases.

How do you determine the value of a constant?

The value of a constant can be determined through various methods, such as mathematical calculations, scientific measurements, or referencing established values from previous studies. It is important to use a reliable and valid method to determine the value of a constant.

Can a constant change during an experiment?

In most cases, a constant should not change during an experiment. However, there may be instances where a constant is intentionally manipulated to test its effects on the variables being studied. In such cases, the change should be carefully controlled and documented.

What is the role of constants in scientific research?

Constants play a crucial role in scientific research as they help to establish a framework for the study and ensure that the results are valid and reproducible. They provide a basis for comparison and help to control for any potential confounding variables.