Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to obtain Allowable Shear Stress

1. Jun 5, 2009 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2009 #2
  4. Jun 5, 2009 #3

minger

Science Advisor

If not specified directly by your materials reference, a general rule of thumb is that the theoretical ratio between shear and tensile stress for a homogeneous, isotropic material is 0.577.

5. Jun 5, 2009 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

you are looking in terms of yield strength, the max shear stress theory and max distortion energy theory help.

Max shear stress: Ssy=.5Sy
    Distortion-Energy theory: Ssy=.577Sy

6. Jun 7, 2009 #5
    Thanks everyone.
    I get the answers 0.5X, right ^_^.

Btw, I wonder what's the effect of Heat Treament on SAE-4340/ any steel. for example Quenching.

What's the multiply factor on Yield and ultimate strength?

7. Jun 7, 2009 #6

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

If you look in Machinery's Handbook, there is a nice section relating steel hardness to a relatively accurate form of estimating tensile properties. When you heat treat something, usually a Rockwell or some other hardness is mentioned as a requirement.

In my latest copy (26th edition) it starts on page 473-474.

My company did some internal testing quite some time ago with a lot of different alloys and found a relatively good relationship between the two parameters. The Machinery's section is pretty good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook