Investigating Strength of Hydrogen Bonds: Cyclohexane/Ethanol Experiment

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment investigating the strength of hydrogen bonds and the effects of adding cyclohexane to a mixture of ethanol. It is suggested that the cyclohexane breaks the hydrogen bonds between ethanol molecules due to its lower electronegativity, and that Van der Waal's forces are not strong enough to overcome the hydrogen bonds. One person suggests that this is an example of negative deviation from Raoult's law, where the presence of cyclohexane reduces the degree of hydrogen bonding between ethanol molecules. Another person asks for more information about this law.
hydrogène
i'm writing a lab report of an experiment investigating strenth of hydrogen bond. An excess of cyclohexane was mixed with ethanol and there's a decrease in temperature of the mixture. I was told that upon the addition of cyclohexane, the H bonds between ethanol molecules were broken and I don't know why. C of cyclohexane are probably not electronegative enough to give the H directly bonded to them a delta +ve charge to attract lone pair electron of O from ethanol. Van der Waal's forces between molecules of ethanol and cyclohexane are not strong enough to overcome the H bonds. Can anyone explain to me what had cyclohexane done on the ethanol molecules?? thanks a lot~

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I would bet on dilution.

Chemical calculators for labs and education
BATE - pH calculations, titration curves, hydrolisis

Tis an example of negative deviation from Raoult's law. Cyclohexane is interposed between the ethanol molecules reducing the degree of hydrogen bonding...note the difference between intramolecular hydrogen bonding and intermolecular hydrogen bonding.

GeneralChemTutor said:
Tis an example of negative deviation from Raoult's law. Cyclohexane is interposed between the ethanol molecules reducing the degree of hydrogen bonding...note the difference between intramolecular hydrogen bonding and intermolecular hydrogen bonding.
I haven't learned this law. Can you say more about it??

1. What is the purpose of the cyclohexane/ethanol experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to investigate the strength of hydrogen bonds between cyclohexane and ethanol. Hydrogen bonds are important in many chemical and biological processes, so understanding their strength is crucial in understanding these processes.

2. How do you measure the strength of hydrogen bonds in this experiment?

The strength of hydrogen bonds is measured by observing the change in temperature when the two liquids, cyclohexane and ethanol, are mixed together. The stronger the hydrogen bonds, the larger the change in temperature will be.

3. Why are cyclohexane and ethanol chosen for this experiment?

Cyclohexane and ethanol are chosen because they are both able to form hydrogen bonds with each other. This allows for a clear comparison of the strength of hydrogen bonds between the two liquids.

4. How do you ensure the accuracy of the results in this experiment?

To ensure accuracy, the experiment should be repeated multiple times and the average results should be taken. It is also important to use precise measuring tools and follow the experimental procedure carefully.

5. What are the potential applications of the findings from this experiment?

The findings from this experiment can help in understanding the strength of hydrogen bonds in various chemical and biological processes. This information can be used in fields such as drug development, materials science, and biochemistry.