I am a contestant for the M-Prize challenge

  • Thread starter Thread starter Iyafrady
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Challenge
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
190 replies · 20K views
wolram said:
One time i bought a huge fire work rocket and fixed a note to it, telling who ever found it where to send it back to, that rocket must have gone into space, as no one ever returned it.
Darn! What was the cash value of the W-prize?
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Astronuc said:
Yeah, turbo! M comes before N, don'tcha know?!

OK, :rolleyes:

Ah, Hah! That makes it really real!


Meanwhile - Spam level *declines*... to 97 percent of all email!
http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/137384

Look in the mirror, are you green w/ envy yet??
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Iyafrady said:
Look in the mirror, are you green w/ envy yet??
When you win, not when you enter.
 
Astronuc said:
Meanwhile - Spam level *declines*... to 97 percent of all email!
http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/137384

http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/null__14/null-909569088-1239214144.jpg?ymAxnEBD5CXSWWRp I am bit surprised that Nigeria isn't red

(oo just sees that it's Malware)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
rootX said:
http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/null__14/null-909569088-1239214144.jpg?ymAxnEBD5CXSWWRp


I am bit surprised that Nigeria isn't red

(oo just sees that it's Malware)

That's because they are sending the damn ****!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
turbo-1 said:
Darn! What was the cash value of the W-prize?

There was no prize turbo, i just have the satisfaction of knowing i have a rocket with my name and address on it in space, launched c1965.
 
How old are you, Iyafrady? Did you pay to register?
 
wolram said:
There was no prize turbo, i just have the satisfaction of knowing i have a rocket with my name and address on it in space, launched c1965.
Darn! Since W comes before X in the alphabet, I thought it might have been huge!
 
Cyrus said:
How old are you, Iyafrady? Did you pay to register?

Im over 21 dude if i wasnt i wouldn't be eligible.Im going to be part of a team of fellow students at my school who were also invited to be a part of the m-prize challenge.I think there is a nominal fee to enter but it will look good on my resume in the future so it don't really matter.
 
Iyafrady said:
Im over 21 dude if i wasnt i wouldn't be eligible.Im going to be part of a team of fellow students at my school who were also invited to be a part of the m-prize challenge.I think there is a nominal fee to enter but it will look good on my resume in the future so it don't really matter.

Why would you need to be over 21 to enter into this contest, is there drinking involved? Also, its not the m prize, its the n prize. Their website seems like a load of crap. I would find something more legit to work on.
 
Cyrus said:
Why would you need to be over 21 to enter into this contest, is there drinking involved? Also, its not the m prize, its the n prize. Their website seems like a load of crap. I would find something more legit to work on.

Your just sayng that because your jealous.I don't care if I don't win because i probably won't but itll be a learning experience and i get to show off and boast that i was selected for the m-prize.Its like the nobel prize.
 
signerror said:
I hear North Korea has discount ICBM parts for sale.

But they can't guarantee taking anything to the orbit.
 
Iyafrady said:
Its like the nobel prize.
No it isn't. The Nobel Prize starts with an 'N'.
 
Iyafrady said:
Your just sayng that because your jealous.I don't care if I don't win because i probably won't but itll be a learning experience and i get to show off and boast that i was selected for the m-prize.Its like the nobel prize.

Man, I sure am. I'm green with envy. :rolleyes:

You sure you're over 21?
 
yea guyz! stop ben jelus of him! he's gona mak it into spce! :rolleyes:
 
There is an m-prize, it's hosted by a tranhumanist group. Perhaps he does mean m-prize. :-p
 
Astronuc said:
I believe the fuel to get to 100 km and orbital velocity (17565 mph or 28355 km/hr or 7.85 km/s) will cost more than $3500!

Im using liquid hydrogen peroxide as fuel and its pretty cheap so I am not worried about fuel costs.
 
Iyafrady said:
Im using liquid hydrogen peroxide as fuel and its pretty cheap so I am not worried about fuel costs.
Please! Quit the crap. Peroxide is not a fuel. It was used as a source of oxygen in some designs. It is a fairly heavy oxidizer compared to oxygen, and you still need some fuel to burn. This thread is a huge joke.
 
turbo-1 said:
Please! Quit the crap. Peroxide is not a fuel. It was used as a source of oxygen in some designs. It is a fairly heavy oxidizer compared to oxygen, and you still need some fuel to burn. This thread is a huge joke.

signerror said:

Thanks for saving me the inconvenience of enlightening turbo about advanced propulsion technology.Glad to see at least some people here are scientists.
 
I wish you the best of luck, Iyafrady, seriously. Reach for the stars.
 
Let me see you launch a rocket into orbit using hydrogen peroxide. This is way beyond silly. Once a vessel is in space, it is possible to use hydrazine thrusters for attitude control, and it is possible (if you have budgeted for the lift-mass of the oxidizer) to use hydrogen peroxide for attitude control. There is not a single post in this thread to suggest that you have any appreciation for the amount of thrust that it might take to put a 10g payload into orbit. Somehow, you have also lost the enthusiasm to claim that there is a M-prize, and have glommed onto the odd N-prize. Why won't a mentor put this thread out of its misery?

BTW, If I wanted to claim the fictitious M-prize, all I would have to do is machine a super-gun, load it with some trackable bullet, and point it east at a suitable elevation. It might be tough to make the bullet trackable, but it would be a heck of lot easier than constructing nano-space-craft.
 
turbo-1 said:
Let me see you launch a rocket into orbit using hydrogen peroxide. This is way beyond silly. Once a vessel is in space, it is possible to use hydrazine thrusters for attitude control, and it is possible (if you have budgeted for the lift-mass of the oxidizer) to use hydrogen peroxide for attitude control. There is not a single post in this thread to suggest that you have any appreciation for the amount of thrust that it might take to put a 10g payload into orbit. Somehow, you have also lost the enthusiasm to claim that there is a M-prize, and have glommed onto the odd N-prize. Why won't a mentor put this thread out of its misery?

BTW, If I wanted to claim the fictitious M-prize, all I would have to do is machine a super-gun, load it with some trackable bullet, and point it east at a suitable elevation. It might be tough to make the bullet trackable, but it would be a heck of lot easier than constructing nano-space-craft.

First of all its traceable bullets, trackable isn't a word genius.Second of all your super-gun thingy would be in violation of rule number one, the "spirit of the N-Prize" clause.And youve stooped low enough to rant about wether its an M or a N??That shows your just here to spread your bad vibes man, take your negativity elsewhere.

edit:Oh and I am not saying I am GOING to launch a spacecraft using Krogers hydrogen peroxide, i merely said I am going to TRY.Why does it even bother you if someone wants to give something a shot...even if its difficult??
 
Last edited:
Who are these "top scientific professor's" you speak of?
 
Iyafrady said:
First of all its traceable bullets, trackable isn't a word genius.And youve stooped low enough to rant about wether its an M or a N??That shows your just here to spread your bad vibes man, take your negativity elsewhere.

edit:Oh and I am not saying I am GOING to launch a spacecraft using Krogers hydrogen peroxide, i merely said I am going to TRY.Why does it even bother you if someone wants to give something a shot...even if its difficult??
Since you are supposedly required to "track" the satellite for 9+ passes, perhaps you ought to pay some attention. I don't care where you get your hydrogen. I could get some at the local Rite-Aid. You have been given a LOT of leeway by the people who run this forum, and I must say that I'm more than a bit disappointed not to see a line through your name already.

Ain't no science happening here!
 
Cyrus said:
Who are these "top scientific professor's" you speak of?

The competition was launched in 2008 by Cambridge professor Dr.Paul H. Dear, and is intended specifically to spur amateur involvement in spaceflight.
 
Iyafrady said:
The competition was launched in 2008 by Cambridge professor Dr.Paul H. Dear, and is intended specifically to spur amateur involvement in spaceflight.

I'm not finding him on the cabridge website using google.

Edit: I did find him, but under biology.
 
Cyrus said:
I'm not finding him on the cabridge website using google.

Edit: I did find him, but under biology.

Yea he is a biology guy but he's also an amateur rocketeer