I don't understand how a tension related to a torque would have this formula

In summary, the equations discussed in this conversation include T = Ia for torque, α = a/r for angular acceleration and T = (Ia)/r for tension. It is important to note that the equation T = (Ia)/r is dimensionally incorrect. Additionally, the correct equation for linear acceleration in terms of angular acceleration is a = rα.
KittyCat1534
Homework Statement
So I have a question which goes like this:

A 3.0 kg block rests on a 30° slope and is attached by a string of negligible mass to a solid drum of mass 0.85 kg and radius 5.0 cm, as shown in Fig. 10.29. When released, the block accelerates down the slope at 1.4 m/s2. What is the coefficient of friction between block and slope?

I've attached the diagram below. I've managed to find the answer, but I don't understand why the tension coming from the torque is T = IA/R^2, instead of just T = IA.

Thanks for the help!
Relevant Equations
T = IA / R^2
Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 17.03.06.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 17.00.46.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 17.00.46.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 179
Physics news on Phys.org
For one thing, T=Ia would be dimensionally wrong.

If the tension is T and the drum has radius r, what torque does the tension exert on the drum?
What equation relates the torque to I and to the angular acceleration, α?
What equation relates α to the radius and to the linear acceleration ?
Can you combine those to get the equation that puzzles you?

haruspex said:
For one thing, T=Ia would be dimensionally wrong.

If the tension is T and the drum has radius r, what torque does the tension exert on the drum?
What equation relates the torque to I and to the angular acceleration, α?
What equation relates α to the radius and to the linear acceleration ?
Can you combine those to get the equation that puzzles you?
@haruspex
I'm sorry for the late reply, I believe that the equation which relates the torque to I and the angular acceleration is T = Ia. And since the linear acceleration is that of a tangent to the drum, linear acceleration = a/r. I combine those to get the equation T = (Ia)/r. Is this correct?

KittyCat1534 said:
the equation which relates the torque to I and the angular acceleration is T = Ia.
In standard use of variable names, that would be ##\tau=I\alpha##.
In the equation you queried, ##T=\frac{Ia}{r^2}##, T is tension, not torque, and a is linear acceleration, not angular acceleration.

Dimensionally,
[T]=MLT-2
[τ]=ML2T-2
[a]=LT-2
[α]=T-2
[r]=L
[ I]=MR2
Use those to check the equations in post #1.

KittyCat1534 said:
linear acceleration = a/r
Here you are using a to mean angular acceleration, right? So in the above you are saying ##a=\frac{\alpha}r##? No, that's backwards: ##a=r\alpha ##.

1. What is tension and torque?

Tension is the force that is applied to an object in a direction that is opposite to the direction of the force. Torque is the force that is applied to an object in a rotational manner.

2. How are tension and torque related?

Tension and torque are related because tension can create a torque on an object when it is applied at a certain distance from the pivot point, causing the object to rotate.

3. What is the formula for calculating torque?

The formula for calculating torque is T = F x d, where T is torque, F is the applied force, and d is the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied.

4. How does tension affect torque?

Tension can affect torque by changing the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied. The greater the tension, the greater the torque will be.

5. Can tension and torque be negative?

Yes, tension and torque can be negative. Negative tension would mean that the force is pulling in the opposite direction, while negative torque would mean that the object is rotating in the opposite direction.