I have a free body diagram that I have drawn to describe my problem of dry ice in a bottle

tremain74
Homework Statement
I have a problem where you have a plastic bottle of dry ice. As you put warm water into the bottle, dry ice is converted into dry ice. I want to see if my free body diagram makes any kind of logical sense.
Relevant Equations
I used Newton's second law of motion: Force = mass * acceleration.
This is my attached picture.

PXL_20240522_235104888.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
tremain74 said:
dry ice is converted into dry ice
Doesn't sound like a very interesting conversion. The process would be "do nothing".

Likes berkeman
phinds said:
Doesn't sound like a very interesting conversion. The process would be "do nothing".
Actually, I meant that the dry ice is converted into carbon dioxide. My apology.

A water-iceberg, floating in a liquid sea of salt solution, is converted into a smaller iceberg, and a more dilute, cooler liquid ocean.

A dry-iceberg floating in warm water, is converted into CO2 that escapes, and cooler water that eventually may partly freeze, then thaw.
The more dense CO2 gas, first displaces the air, then overflows the bottle.
The dry-iceberg cannot be coated in water ice, because that is pushed off by the CO2 sublimed.

Is your FBD modelling icebergs, that are changing their mass by melting or subliming, while floating and being buoyant in changing density fluids?

Likes Lnewqban
Baluncore said:
A water-iceberg, floating in a liquid sea of salt solution, is converted into a smaller iceberg, and a more dilute, cooler liquid ocean.

A dry-iceberg floating in warm water, is converted into CO2 that escapes, and cooler water that eventually may partly freeze, then thaw.
The more dense CO2 gas, first displaces the air, then overflows the bottle.
The dry-iceberg cannot be coated in water ice, because that is pushed off by the CO2 sublimed.

Is your FBD modelling icebergs, that are changing their mass by melting or subliming, while floating and being buoyant in changing density fluids?
My free body diagram doesn't include the ice that comes as a result of water that will eventually freeze. However, in reality, I definitely have to include the ice in the fbd as well.

tremain74 said:
However, in reality, I definitely have to include the ice in the fbd as well.
A wet ice lump, floating in a glass of cold water, will gradually melt, but the water level in the glass will stay practically the same throughout the process.

Big bits of dry ice sink in water. Small bits also sink, but then float as they sublime, as they are buoyed up by the attached gas bubbles. A fog will form near the surface of the water. Your FBD will need a little more complexity.

Maybe you should first decide why you need an FBD, or what you are trying to model.

Likes phinds and Lnewqban