I see no trig function for this

In summary, Chestermiller suggested that you use the Pythagorean identity to solve for the angle θ between two points, A and B, using only the information that you know in terms of sin and cos. Once you have this information, you can use the trigonometric function to solve for θ.
StrawHat

Homework Statement

244.10746 = 845.9064sin(θ) - 274.87cos(θ)

Homework Equations

Is there? I have no clue.

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged it into WolframAlpha and I got an incomprehensible answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you attempted to use the property [itex]1 = sin^{2}(\theta) + cos^{2}(\theta)[/itex] to get an equation in terms of only sin or cos?

Villyer said:
Have you attempted to use the property [itex]1 = sin^{2}(\theta) + cos^{2}(\theta)[/itex] to get an equation in terms of only sin or cos?

But I can't use that trig function for this equation.

StrawHat said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Is there? I have no clue.

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged it into WolframAlpha and I got an incomprehensible answer.

Try using sin(A-B) = sinA cosB - cos A sinB. Start out by dividing both sides of the equation by sqrt (845.90642 + 274.872)

Chet

Of course you can. Let [itex]x = \cos \theta[/itex]. Then [itex]\sin \theta = \sqrt{1-x^2}[/itex]. All it takes is a little more algebra to massage this into a polynomial equation in [itex]x[/itex] that you can then convert back into [itex]\theta[/itex].

Muphrid said:
Of course you can. Let [itex]x = \cos \theta[/itex]. Then [itex]\sin \theta = \sqrt{1-x^2}[/itex]. All it takes is a little more algebra to massage this into a polynomial equation in [itex]x[/itex] that you can then convert back into [itex]\theta[/itex].

I got x = 809.919 after plugging everything in. But I can't use that x-value for the sin(θ) = √(1-x^2) because that would become a negative number inside of that root.

I suspect you did some algebra wrongly; I get a value for x that is between -1 and 1 as required. Why don't you type out a couple steps of algebra?

Muphrid said:
I suspect you did some algebra wrongly; I get a value for x that is between -1 and 1 as required. Why don't you type out a couple steps of algebra?

I must be squaring it wrong. This time I got x = 0.91059, but I know it's supposed to be 0.82917.

244.10746 = 845.9064[itex]\sqrt{1-x^2}[/itex] - 274.87x

*multiply everything by the power of 2*

59588.4520 = 715557.6376 - 715557.6376x2 - 75553.5169x2

I'm guessing I squared the above equation incorrectly...

Yes, you did. On the right hand side, you've squared each term, but that's not how squaring works.

[tex](a+b)^2 = a^2 + 2ab + b^2 \neq a^2 + b^2[/tex]

But then if I square it, I would still be left with [itex]\sqrt{1-x^2}[/itex], wouldn't I?

Yes. How might you isolate that square root so you don't get any cross terms when you square both sides?

I put the square root by itself and got this:

[itex]\sqrt{1-x^2}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{244.10746 + 274.87x}{845.9064}[/itex]

I did the calculations wrong again, and got this:

0 = 70.4433 + 158.6412x + 90.3166x2

It's probably because I didn't square the 845.9064 as well.

Well, once you're able to square these numbers correctly with a calculator, you should be getting close to something that you an arrange and solve by the quadratic formula.

I'm surprised that you guys didn't even try to solve this problem using the much simpler method that I alluded to in Response #4 (which does not even require solving a quadratic equation). Here is an additional hint:

A sinθ - B cosθ = sqrt(A2 + B2) (sinθ cos[itex]\phi[/itex] -cos[itex]\theta[/itex] sin[itex]\phi[/itex]) = sqrt(A2 + B2) sin([itex]\theta[/itex]-[itex]\phi[/itex])

where [itex]\phi[/itex] = arctan (B/A)

Chet

Here's where Chestermiller's suggestion comes from. The idea is to find R and φ such that
\begin{align*}
A &= R \cos \varphi \\
B &= R \sin \varphi
\end{align*} so that
\begin{align*}
A \sin\theta - B \cos \theta &= (R \cos\varphi)\sin\theta - (R\sin\varphi)\cos\theta \\
&= R(\cos\varphi\sin\theta - \sin\varphi\cos\theta) \\
&= R \sin(\theta-\varphi).
\end{align*} If you divide the second equation by the first, you get
$$\frac{B}{A} = \frac{R\sin\varphi}{R\cos\varphi} = \tan\varphi,$$ and using the Pythagorean identity, you get
$$1 = \cos^2 \varphi + \sin^2\varphi = \left(\frac{A}{R}\right)^2 + \left(\frac{B}{R}\right)^2,$$ or equivalently, ##R^2 = A^2+B^2##.

This trick is a good one to know. As he noted, it's a lot less tedious to solve the problem using this method than dealing with the quadratic equation, especially when you have non-integer numbers like the ones in this problem.

1. What is a trig function?

A trigonometric function, also known as a trig function, is a mathematical function that relates the sides and angles of a triangle. It is commonly used in geometry, physics, and engineering.

2. Why can't I find a trig function for this problem?

Not all mathematical problems require the use of trig functions. If a problem does not involve triangles or circular functions, then a trig function may not be applicable.

3. How do I know when to use a trig function?

You can use a trig function when a problem involves triangles, circular motion, or periodic phenomena. Look for keywords such as "angle," "side," "oscillate," or "cycle" in the problem to determine if a trig function is needed.

4. What are some common trig functions?

The most commonly used trig functions are sine, cosine, and tangent. Other trig functions include cosecant, secant, and cotangent. Each function is defined in terms of the ratios of sides of a right triangle.

5. Are there any tips for solving problems with trig functions?

One helpful tip is to draw a diagram of the problem and label the sides and angles of the triangle. This can help you visualize the problem and determine which trig function to use. Additionally, make sure to use the appropriate units (degrees or radians) when using trig functions.