Ideal gas behaviour at high pressures

In summary, the compressibility factor (PV/RT) for an ideal gas remains constant at low pressures, but increases at high pressures according to a vanderwall's model.
Amith2006
Sir,
An experiment is carried on a fixed amount of gas at different temperatures and at high pressure such that it deviates from the ideal gas behaviour. The variation of PV/RT with P is shown in the following diagram. Is it right? Suppose a graph is plotted between PV/RT and T. At high temperatures, will the graph be identical to that between PV/RT and P i.e. will the value of PV/RT increase?

Attachments

• P V diag.JPG
    P V diag.JPG
    4.5 KB · Views: 451
Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't seen your graph yet but if you follow the van der Wall model, then Z = PV/RT is the compressibility factor. Z can vary with P in many ways depending on the gas (whether attractive forces dominate or whether the pressure is very high). This can be mathematically justified.

Sir,
Actually in the question 4 curves were given from which it was asked to choose the curve which more closely suits the situation described in the question. I have shown only the curve that was said to be right according to my book. From the graph, it seems that the compressibility is constant at low pressures but increases at high pressures. So can I take that the compressibility factor(PV/RT) remains constant at low pressures but increases at high pressures in the case of ideal gases?

Last edited:
Amith2006 said:
Sir,
Actually in the question 4 curves were given from which it was asked to choose the curve which more closely suits the situation described in the question. I have shown only the curve that was said to be right according to my book. From the graph, it seems that the compressibility is constant at low pressures but increases at high pressures. So can I take that the compressibility factor(PV/RT) remains constant at low pressures but increases at high pressures in the case of ideal gases?

For an ideal gas, [itex]Z[/itex] is independent of pressure. This is obvious becuse for one mole of gas, [itex]PV=RT[/itex] so [itex]Z=1[/itex]. So for an ideal gas, the Z versus P graph is a straight line for all pressures with Z = 1. Every non-ideal gas deviates from this straight line. So your gas is non-ideal, its just that non-ideality is exhibited above 60 pressure units (or maybe something just above it).

If you are using a vanderwall model, then you can expand Z as a power series (known as a virial equation) and play around with the coefficients so that the graph is almost linear until the point where it takes a hike :smile:

Read the following only if you're familiar with vanderwall's model.

Vanderwall's equation (1 mole of gas):

[tex](P + \frac{a}{V^2})(V-b) = RT[/tex]

if you neglect b (see your textbook for a justification),

[tex]P = \frac{RT}{V}-\frac{a}{V^2}[/tex]
so,
[tex]Z=\frac{PV}{RT}=1-\frac{a}{VRT}[/tex]

This actually shows that you can't neglect b for your gas because according to this assumption Z < 1, contrary to the observation. So I really should've written this as

[tex]P =\frac{RT}{V-b}-\frac{a}{V^2}[/tex]

I'll leave the rest to you.

FAQ: Ideal gas behaviour at high pressures

1. What is the ideal gas law and how does it apply to high pressures?

The ideal gas law is a fundamental equation that describes the behavior of gases at different temperatures, volumes, and pressures. It states that the product of pressure and volume is directly proportional to the number of moles of gas and the absolute temperature. This law applies to high pressures as long as the gas is not close to its condensation point, and the gas particles are not interacting with each other.

2. How does the behavior of an ideal gas change at high pressures?

At high pressures, the behavior of an ideal gas starts to deviate from the ideal gas law. This is because the gas particles are closer together, and the intermolecular forces between them become significant. The volume of the gas particles themselves also becomes a significant factor in determining the overall volume of the gas.

3. What is the Van der Waals equation and how does it improve upon the ideal gas law at high pressures?

The Van der Waals equation is a modification of the ideal gas law that takes into account the volume of the gas particles and the intermolecular forces between them. It adds two correction terms to the ideal gas law, which account for these factors. This equation provides a more accurate description of gas behavior at high pressures.

4. Can ideal gas behavior be observed at high pressures in real-world conditions?

No, ideal gas behavior cannot be observed at high pressures in real-world conditions. This is because real gases deviate from ideal gas behavior at high pressures due to factors such as intermolecular forces and the volume of gas particles. However, some gases may exhibit behavior close to ideal at moderately high pressures and low temperatures.

5. How can high pressures affect the properties of ideal gases?

At high pressures, the properties of ideal gases can change significantly. For example, the compressibility of the gas decreases, and the gas becomes more difficult to compress. The molar volume of the gas also decreases, and the gas may start to exhibit liquid-like properties. Additionally, the ideal gas law may no longer accurately describe the behavior of the gas at high pressures.

Back