1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ideal Gas law and mole conversions

1. Feb 1, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

You have several identical balloons. You experimentally determine that a balloon will break if its volume exceeds 0.900L . The pressure of the gas inside the balloon equals air pressure (1.00 atm). The air inside the balloon has a constant temperature of 22 C. How many grams of oxygen can be blown into the balloon before it explodes? Helium?

2. Relevant equations

.9L = .0009m^3
    22C = 295.15
    1 atm = 1.013 x 10^5
    PV = nRT

3. The attempt at a solution

(1.013 x 10^5)(.0009) = n(8.31)(295.15)
    n = .03717 moles

.03717 moles = .593 grams of oxygen

I don't know if I've forgotten something with chemistry or I've missed something in the calculation, but that answer's being spit out as incorrect (automated grading). Obviously I can't do the helium part until I figure out what's wrong with this part.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi Cfem,

Oxygen is a two-atomic gas, two atoms make a molecule, its molar mass is 32 g/mol. But helium is noble gas, its molar mass equals the atomic mass.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook