Ideal Gas law and mole conversions

In summary, to determine the amount of gas that can be blown into a balloon before it explodes, you can use the ideal gas law (PV = nRT) and the given conditions (volume, pressure, and temperature) to calculate the number of moles of gas that can be contained in the balloon. In this case, the amount of oxygen that can be blown into the balloon is 0.03717 moles, which is equivalent to 0.593 grams. However, for helium, which is a noble gas, the molar mass is equal to the atomic mass, so the calculation will be different.
Cfem

Homework Statement

You have several identical balloons. You experimentally determine that a balloon will break if its volume exceeds 0.900L . The pressure of the gas inside the balloon equals air pressure (1.00 atm). The air inside the balloon has a constant temperature of 22 C. How many grams of oxygen can be blown into the balloon before it explodes? Helium?

Homework Equations

.9L = .0009m^3
22C = 295.15
1 atm = 1.013 x 10^5
PV = nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

(1.013 x 10^5)(.0009) = n(8.31)(295.15)
n = .03717 moles

.03717 moles = .593 grams of oxygen

I don't know if I've forgotten something with chemistry or I've missed something in the calculation, but that answer's being spit out as incorrect (automated grading). Obviously I can't do the helium part until I figure out what's wrong with this part.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Cfem,

Oxygen is a two-atomic gas, two atoms make a molecule, its molar mass is 32 g/mol. But helium is noble gas, its molar mass equals the atomic mass.

ehild

1. What is the Ideal Gas Law and how is it used in science?

The Ideal Gas Law is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of an ideal gas under different conditions. It relates the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of a gas and is commonly used in chemistry and physics calculations.

2. What are the units for each variable in the Ideal Gas Law?

The units for pressure are typically in atmospheres (atm), volume in liters (L), temperature in Kelvin (K), and number of moles in moles (mol). However, it is important to note that the units may vary depending on the specific application or problem.

3. How do you convert between moles and grams in the Ideal Gas Law?

To convert from moles to grams, you will need to use the molar mass of the gas. This can be found on the periodic table, and it represents the mass of one mole of a substance. Simply multiply the number of moles by the molar mass to get the mass in grams. To convert from grams to moles, divide the mass by the molar mass.

4. Can the Ideal Gas Law be applied to real gases?

The Ideal Gas Law is an approximation and can only be applied to ideal gases, meaning they have no volume and do not interact with each other. Real gases have volume and do interact with each other, so the Ideal Gas Law may not accurately describe their behavior. However, it can still be used as a close estimate in many real-world situations.

5. How is Avogadro's number related to the Ideal Gas Law?

Avogadro's number, 6.022 x 10^23, represents the number of particles in one mole of a substance. In the Ideal Gas Law, the number of moles is a crucial variable, and Avogadro's number helps to convert between the number of moles and the number of individual particles present in a gas sample.