Ideal gas law - isovolumetric problem

In summary, the absolute pressure of a gas sample enclosed in a rigid metal container at room temperature (20 C) is given by the equation p_1 = nRT_1/V where T_1 = 20C = 293 K, and the new absolute pressure after the container is immersed in hot water until it warms to 40 C is given by the equation p_2 = nRT_2/V where T_2 = 40C = 313 K. This can be simplified to p_2 = (313/293)p_1, where p_1 is the initial absolute pressure.
portofino

Homework Statement

A gas sample enclosed in a rigid metal container at room temperature (20 C) has an absolute pressure p_1. The container is immersed in hot water until it warms to 40 C. What is the new absolute pressure p_2?

Express your answer in terms of p_1

Homework Equations

PV = nRT where P is pressure in pascals, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is constant = 8.314, T is temperature in kelvin

convert celsius to kelvin
K=C+273.15 where K is temp in kelvin, and C is temp in celsius

The Attempt at a Solution

since this problem is isovolumetric, the volume remains constant.

p_1 = nRT_1/V where T_1 = 20C = 293 K assuming n,R,V are constant

p_2 = nRT_2/V where T_2 = 40C = 313 K assuming n, R, V are constant

how do i put p_2 in terms of p_1, do i just solve p_1 in terms of say V and substitute it in for V in the p_2 equation?

doing so i get:

V =nRT_1/p_1 = 293/p_1 asuming n and R are constant

thus substituting V for V in the p_2 equation i get:

p_2 = nRT_2/V = 313/(292/p_1) = 313p_1/292

is that correct? I'm almost certain it is not correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
portofino said:

Homework Statement

A gas sample enclosed in a rigid metal container at room temperature (20 C) has an absolute pressure p_1. The container is immersed in hot water until it warms to 40 C. What is the new absolute pressure p_2?

Express your answer in terms of p_1

Homework Equations

PV = nRT where P is pressure in pascals, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is constant = 8.314, T is temperature in kelvin

convert celsius to kelvin
K=C+273.15 where K is temp in kelvin, and C is temp in celsius

The Attempt at a Solution

since this problem is isovolumetric, the volume remains constant.

p_1 = nRT_1/V where T_1 = 20C = 293 K assuming n,R,V are constant

p_2 = nRT_2/V where T_2 = 40C = 313 K assuming n, R, V are constant

how do i put p_2 in terms of p_1, do i just solve p_1 in terms of say V and substitute it in for V in the p_2 equation?

doing so i get:

V =nRT_1/p_1 = 293/p_1 asuming n and R are constant

thus substituting V for V in the p_2 equation i get:

p_2 = nRT_2/V = 313/(292/p_1) = 313p_1/292

is that correct? I'm almost certain it is not correct.

That looks right. For such a question though - where you have an isobaric or isothermal you can just use the simple ratio. (You can always divide an equation by an equation.)

[tex]\frac{P_1V_1}{P_2V_2} = \frac{nrT_1}{nrT_2}[/tex]

In your case it Volume stays the same n the same and r the same so:

[tex]\frac{P_1}{P_2} = \frac{T_1}{T_2} = \frac{293}{313}[/tex]

Another way to set it up, and which may be easier to remember, is to solve the ideal gas equation for R:

[tex]
R = \frac{P_1 V_1}{n_1 T_1} = \frac{P_2 V_2}{n_2 T_2}
[/tex]

or in other words

[tex]
\frac{P_1 V_1}{n_1 T_1} = \frac{P_2 V_2}{n_2 T_2}
[/tex]

Then you cancel all the quantities that are equal (in this case V and n) and go from there.

the thing is when tried (313p_1)/292, it was incorrect and it stated that "your answer either contains an incorrect numerical multiplier or is missing one."

noticed how i entered the denominator as 292 as opposed to 293, would that be the reason why it is incorrect?

It is incorrect by a very small amount, 0.3%. Why don't you try with the correct numbers and see what happens? Also, you could try dividing 313/293 on a calculator, and use that number times p_1.

yes i tried it with 293 as the denominator. it was correct

thanks for your help

1. What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of an ideal gas. It states that the product of pressure and volume is directly proportional to the product of the amount of gas and its temperature, and is expressed as PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the amount of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature.

2. What is an isovolumetric problem?

An isovolumetric problem is a scenario in which the volume of a gas is held constant while other variables, such as pressure and temperature, are changed. This type of problem is commonly used in ideal gas law calculations to determine how changes in pressure or temperature affect the other variables.

3. How do you solve an isovolumetric problem using the ideal gas law?

To solve an isovolumetric problem using the ideal gas law, you must first identify the known variables (pressure, volume, amount of gas, and temperature) and the unknown variable. Then, use the ideal gas law equation (PV = nRT) to calculate the unknown variable. Make sure to convert all units to the appropriate SI units (pressure in pascals, volume in cubic meters, amount in moles, and temperature in kelvin) before solving the equation.

4. What are some real-life applications of the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law has many real-life applications in fields such as chemistry, physics, and engineering. It is used to study the behavior of gases in different conditions, such as in chemical reactions, weather patterns, and gas behavior in various containers. It is also used in industries such as food and beverage production, where it helps to determine the ideal conditions for storing and packaging gases.

5. What are some limitations of the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is based on certain assumptions, such as that the gas particles have no volume and do not interact with each other. In reality, gases do have volume and can interact with each other, especially at high pressures and low temperatures. This can lead to deviations from the ideal gas behavior, especially in real-life applications. Additionally, the ideal gas law is not applicable to all types of gases, such as highly polar or reactive gases.