Solving Unknown Quantity of Gas: Help Appreciated!

• Thread starter chawkdee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas
In summary, the conversation is about finding the number of moles of gas given its pressure, volume, and temperature. The equation PV=nRT is used, with n representing the number of moles. The correct units to use are pascals for pressure and cubic meters for volume.
chawkdee
If anyone has time, could you please show me the working of this problem.

Greatly appreciated

b]1. Homework Statement [/b]
If I have an unknown quantity of gas at a pressure of 1.2 atm, a volume of 31 liters, and a temperature of 87C, how many moles of gas do I have?

Homework Equations

PV=nRT=NkT

The Attempt at a Solution

1.2 x 31=n8.3145 x (87+273)= N x 1.38066x10*23 x (87+273)

Can you tell me if the above numbers are correct please.

Physics news on Phys.org
chawkdee said:
If anyone has time, could you please show me the working of this problem.

Greatly appreciated

b]1. Homework Statement [/b]
If I have an unknown quantity of gas at a pressure of 1.2 atm, a volume of 31 liters, and a temperature of 87C, how many moles of gas do I have?

Homework Equations

PV=nRT=NkT

The Attempt at a Solution

1.2 x 31=n8.3145 x (87+273)= N x 1.38066x10*23 x (87+273)

Can you tell me if the above numbers are correct please.
You have to stick to MKS units. Volume has to be in m^3 not litres. Otherwise, it looks fine.

AM

The pressure should be in pascals as well.

phsopher said:
The pressure should be in pascals as well.

Of course! Thanks for catching that.

AM

chawkdee said:
... how many moles of gas do I have?

Homework Equations

PV=nRT=NkT

Given what is being asked, would you use nRT or NkT here?

Redbelly98 said:
Given what is being asked, would you use nRT or NkT here?

nRT ??

Why do you think that ... or is it just a random guess? The key here is: what do n and N mean?

Redbelly98 said:
Why do you think that ... or is it just a random guess? The key here is: what do n and N mean?

n - number of moles

N - number of molecules

Okay, yes. n is the number of moles, so PV=nRT is the thing to use here.

Just be careful with the units, as others said earlier.

Related to Solving Unknown Quantity of Gas: Help Appreciated!

1. How do you determine the unknown quantity of gas?

The unknown quantity of gas can be determined using the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas are directly proportional to each other. By measuring two of these variables and plugging them into the ideal gas law equation, the unknown quantity can be calculated.

2. What equipment is needed to solve for the unknown quantity of gas?

To solve for the unknown quantity of gas, you will need a pressure gauge, a thermometer, and a container with a known volume that can be sealed to create a closed system. It is also helpful to have a calculator or computer to perform the necessary calculations.

3. Can the ideal gas law be used for any type of gas?

The ideal gas law is most accurate for gases that behave as an ideal gas, meaning they have no intermolecular forces and occupy negligible volume compared to the container they are in. However, it can be used for other types of gases with some limitations and adjustments.

4. What are some common sources of error when solving for the unknown quantity of gas?

Some common sources of error when solving for the unknown quantity of gas include not properly sealing the container, not accurately measuring the pressure or temperature, and not considering other factors that may affect the gas, such as humidity. It is important to carefully control and measure all variables to minimize these errors.

5. Is there a specific unit for the unknown quantity of gas?

The unit for the unknown quantity of gas will depend on the units used for pressure, volume, and temperature in the ideal gas law equation. However, the most commonly used unit for gas quantity is moles, which represents the amount of a substance. Other units, such as liters or cubic meters, can also be used depending on the context.