Ideal Gas Pressure: Solve Physics HW

In summary, the question asks for the change in pressure of an ideal gas at 94 L and 0°C when the temperature increases by 61°C, using the ideal gas law equation. The initial and final pressures are calculated and the difference is found to be 0.053 atm.
DrMcDreamy

Homework Statement

This is for my physics homework and I haven't done gen chem in a while so I was wondering if this was right:

One mole of an ideal gas at 0◦C is held at a constant volume of 94 liter. Find the change in pressure if the temperature increases by 61◦C. Answer in units of atm.

Homework Equations

PV=nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

#1:
P1=?
V= 94 L
n= 1 mole
R= 0.0821 L atm / mol K
T1= 273.15 K

#2:
P2= ?
V= 94 L
n= 1 mole
R= 0.0821 L atm / mol K
T2= 334.15 K

Work:

#1:
P1 = [tex]\frac{nRT}{V}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{0.0821 x 1 x 273.15}{94}[/tex] = 0.238570372 atm

#2:
P2 = [tex]\frac{nRT}{V}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{0.0821 x 1 x 334.15}{94}[/tex] = 0.291848301 atm

change in pressure = P2-P1 = 0.291848301 - 0.238570372 = 0.053277659 atm

Is that right? TIA

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In general yes, although you abuse significant digits. They are not treated seriously in physics (after all, they are just a poor relative of the real accuracy), but listing nine digits when you are given only two for value doesn't make sense.

Borek said:
In general yes, although you abuse significant digits. They are not treated seriously in physics (after all, they are just a poor relative of the real accuracy), but listing nine digits when you are given only two for value doesn't make sense.

Thank you, oh I know the digits are long, I plan to answer it as: .0533 atm

1. What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical gas composed of a large number of particles that have negligible volume and do not interact with each other. This means that the gas particles do not have any attractive or repulsive forces between them, and they also do not take up any space.

2. How is ideal gas pressure defined?

Ideal gas pressure is defined as the force per unit area exerted by the gas particles on the walls of the container. It is directly proportional to the number of gas particles, their temperature, and the volume of the container, and inversely proportional to the volume of the container.

3. What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas. It is written as PV = nRT, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles, R is the ideal gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

4. How can I solve for pressure using the ideal gas law?

To solve for pressure using the ideal gas law, you will need to know the values of the other variables (volume, temperature, and number of moles) and the ideal gas constant, which is 8.314 J/mol·K. Once you have these values, simply rearrange the equation to solve for P.

5. What are the units of ideal gas pressure?

The units of ideal gas pressure are typically expressed in Pascals (Pa) or atmospheres (atm). However, other units such as millimeters of mercury (mmHg) or torr are also commonly used. It is important to note the units being used in a specific problem in order to ensure accurate calculations.