Independent Events Probability

In summary: In the second problem, {B open} = {A open} or {A and B open}, so P{B open} = (1/2)(1/2) + (1/2)(1/2) - (1/2)^2 = 3/8 + 1/4 = .42857143, so P{B open} = 4.292929292929292929 = .87890625 .
lina29

Homework Statement

During a winter season at one ski resort, there are two roads from Area A to Area B and two roads from Area B to Area C. Each of the four roads is blocked by snow with a probability p=.25 independently of the other roads.

What is the probability that there exists an open route from Area A to Area C

It was decided to add a new path connecting areas A and C directly. It is also blocked by snow with probability p=.25 independently of all the other paths. Now what is the probability that there is an open route from area A to area C.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first part I assumed that at least one road had to be open from A to B so I got .4375 which is the same for at least one road from B to C. And then that both A to B and B to C had to be open so I got .191 which was wrong.

Any help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I'm sure there is probably an easier way but there is nothing wrong with drawing a good old probability tree. It will be quite a big one (as there are four roads and so 4 "rounds" to the tree). But once you've drawn the tree, figure out which branches correspond to it being possible to get from A to C, then figure out their probabilities and you should get the answer.

James

Remember that the probability of a road between two points being open is 1 minus the probability that both are blocked.

Right so what I did to find at least one road being open between A and B or B and C was
1-(1-.25)(1-.25)= .4375
and then to find the probability of both being open I did
.4375*.4375=.191

lina29 said:
Right so what I did to find at least one road being open between A and B or B and C was
1-(1-.25)(1-.25)= .4375
and then to find the probability of both being open I did
.4375*.4375=.191

But the probability of being blocked is .25, so you've worked out the opposite!

Ohh so what I would do is 1-(1-.75)(1-.75)= .5
and then
.5*.5=.25 which would be the final answer for the first part?

lina29 said:
Ohh so what I would do is 1-(1-.75)(1-.75)= .5
and then
.5*.5=.25 which would be the final answer for the first part?

I agree with the logic, not the answer ;)

sorry :)
it would be 1-(1-.75)(1-.75)= .9375
and then
.9375*.9375=.8789 right?

For the second part how would I approach it?

lina29 said:
sorry :)
it would be 1-(1-.75)(1-.75)= .9375
and then
.9375*.9375=.8789 right?

For the second part how would I approach it?

Sounds good.

Well now you have the probability that there is a route to C through B that is open, and you also know the probability of getting directly from A to C. Can you think of a way of combining these to get the second answer?

my though was addition but then the probabilities would be over 1

Probabilities over 1 are never really a good sign!

Well imagine you've got two coins, what would be the probability of at least 1 head?

1-(1-.5)(1-.5)=.75

lina29 said:
1-(1-.5)(1-.5)=.75

Good, so can you see what the probability of at least one route being open is?

1-(1-.8789)(1-.75)=.9697

lina29 said:
1-(1-.8789)(1-.75)=.9697

Yep, I would agree

thank you!

No problem, hope they're right!

That is correct but you did it the hard way. If P(A)= .25 and P(B)= .25, and A and B are independent, [itex]P(A and B)= .25^2= 0.0625[/itex] the probability of both roads being blocked is 0.0625 so the probability that at least one of the roads is not is [itex]1- P(A)P(B)= 1- .25^2= 1- 0.0625= 0.9375[/itex], as you say.

lina29 said:

Homework Statement

During a winter season at one ski resort, there are two roads from Area A to Area B and two roads from Area B to Area C. Each of the four roads is blocked by snow with a probability p=.25 independently of the other roads.

What is the probability that there exists an open route from Area A to Area C

It was decided to add a new path connecting areas A and C directly. It is also blocked by snow with probability p=.25 independently of all the other paths. Now what is the probability that there is an open route from area A to area C.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first part I assumed that at least one road had to be open from A to B so I got .4375 which is the same for at least one road from B to C. And then that both A to B and B to C had to be open so I got .191 which was wrong.

Any help would be appreciated

I get something different from all of you!

In the first problem, {AC blocked} = {both AB blocked} or {both BC blocked}, so P{AC blocked} = (1/4)(1/4) + (1/4)(1/4) - (1/4)^4 = 31/256 = .12109375, so P{AC open} = 225/256 = .87890625 . This uses P{A or B} = P{A} + P{B} - P{A & B}.

RGV

Related to Independent Events Probability

What is the definition of independent events in probability?

Independent events in probability refer to two or more events that do not affect each other's outcome. This means that the probability of one event occurring does not depend on the occurrence of the other event.

How do you calculate the probability of independent events?

The probability of independent events can be calculated by multiplying the individual probabilities of each event. This is known as the multiplication rule of probability.

What is the difference between independent and dependent events in probability?

The main difference between independent and dependent events is that the occurrence of one event does not affect the probability of the other event in independent events, while in dependent events, the probability of one event is affected by the occurrence of the other event.

How can you determine if two events are independent?

To determine if two events are independent, you can use the product rule. If the product of the individual probabilities of each event is equal to the probability of both events occurring together, then the events are independent.

Can independent events ever be dependent?

No, independent events cannot become dependent. If two events are initially independent, then they will remain independent regardless of any subsequent events or factors.