Induced Current in Aluminum Ring Around Solenoid

In summary, the question involves an aluminum ring placed around a long air-core solenoid with a smaller radius. The solenoid has 1000 turns per meter and a current increasing at a rate of 270 A/s. Using Faraday's law, the induced current in the ring can be calculated by finding the change in flux, which can be determined by multiplying the change in magnetic field by the area of the ring. The magnetic field can be calculated using the formula B= \mu *I*n. After finding the change in flux, it can be divided by the change in time to find the induced current in the ring.
Punchlinegirl
An aluminum ring of radius 5 cm and resistance 0.003 ohms is placed around the center of a long air-core solenoid with 1000 turns per meter and a smaller radius of 3 cm. If the current in the solenoid is increasing at a constant rate of 270 A/s, what is the induced current in the ring?

B= [tex] \mu*n*I [/tex]
change in B/change in time = [tex]\mu[/tex] n *change in current/change in time
= [tex] 4 \pi e-7)(1000)(270) [/tex] = .339
then change in flux/change in time= A*change in B/change in t
A= [tex] \pi*r^2 [/tex]
So A= (.03)^2 *3.14
then multiply that by .339 to get 9.58 e -4.
Then I divided this by 3 e -4 to get the current and found that it was 3.19..
which wasn't right.. can someone please help me? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the question wants you to use Faraday's law. Incidently, that's how I would go about it.

-Hoot

So if I use Faraday's Law, would I do
change in flux= B*cos (theta)A
Where B= [tex] \mu [/tex] I* n
and would A be the big area minus the small? [tex] \pi [/tex] (.05^2)-(.03^2)?

1. What is Induced Current in Aluminum Ring Around Solenoid?

Induced Current in Aluminum Ring Around Solenoid refers to the production of an electric current in an aluminum ring that is placed around a solenoid (a coil of wire) when a changing magnetic field is applied to the solenoid. This phenomenon is known as electromagnetic induction.

2. How is Induced Current in Aluminum Ring Around Solenoid produced?

Induced Current in Aluminum Ring Around Solenoid is produced through the process of electromagnetic induction, which occurs when a changing magnetic field passes through a conductor (in this case, the aluminum ring) and induces a current to flow.

3. What are some applications of Induced Current in Aluminum Ring Around Solenoid?

Induced Current in Aluminum Ring Around Solenoid has various applications, including power generation, electric motors, and transformers. It is also used in devices such as metal detectors and induction cooktops.

4. How does the thickness of the aluminum ring affect Induced Current in Aluminum Ring Around Solenoid?

The thickness of the aluminum ring can affect the amount of induced current produced. Thicker rings have lower resistance and can carry a larger current, resulting in a stronger induced current. However, very thick rings may also have a greater self-inductance, which can reduce the induced current.

5. Can Induced Current in Aluminum Ring Around Solenoid be controlled?

Yes, the induced current in an aluminum ring around a solenoid can be controlled by adjusting the strength of the magnetic field or the frequency of the changing magnetic field. This can be done by varying the number of turns in the solenoid or by using different types of materials for the solenoid or the aluminum ring.