Calculating Induced EMF in a Bent Loop with Changing Magnetic Field

In summary, the conversation discusses a closed loop of wire with two equal semicircles, a uniform magnetic field of magnitude 91 mT, and a reduction of the magnetic field to zero over a time interval of 39 ms. The question asks for the magnitude and direction of the induced emf in the loop. The approach of calculating the flux through each semicircle and dividing by delta t is correct, with the answer being slightly above 25 mV. It is recommended to use the exact value and not an approximation when entering the answer online.
GwtBc

Homework Statement

The figure below shows a closed loop of wire that consists of a pair of equal semicircles, of radius 7.0 cm, lying in mutually perpendicular planes. The loop was formed by folding a flat circular loop along a diameter until the two halves became perpendicular to each other. A uniform magnetic field B of magnitude 91 mT is directed perpendicular to the fold diameter and makes equal angles (of 45°) with the planes of the semicircles. The magnetic field is reduced to zero at a uniform rate during a time interval of 39 ms. During this interval, what are the (a) magnitude and (b)direction (clockwise or counterclockwise when viewed along the direction of B) of the emf induced in the loop?
https://edugen.wileyplus.com/edugen/courses/crs7165/art/qb/qu/c30/pict_30_14.gif

Homework Equations

##
\frac{\mathrm{d} \Phi }{\mathrm{d} t}= - \varepsilon,
\Phi = \mathbf{B}\cdot \textbf{A} ##

The Attempt at a Solution

I summed up the flux through each semicircle and divided by delta t, but that gives the wrong answer (Part A is about the magnitude so there aren't any issues with the negative sign). I asked a tutor and he thought it should be done the same way (even looked it up online and saw the same method being used) Not sure where to go from here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

Could you attach the figure? It seems you wanted to but forgot :>

Can't, but I think the problem statement explains the situation clearly enough. I will add though that the field lines are coming in such that each one of them only goes through one semicircle, i.e. the flux is not 0 to begin with.

GwtBc said:
I summed up the flux through each semicircle and divided by delta t,
Did you take the components of B field perpendicular to the surfaces while calculating flux?

cnh1995 said:
Did you take the components of B field perpendicular to the surfaces while calculating flux?
Yep

Your approach is correct, It is better to show your work so we can see what might have gone wrong.

GwtBc said:

Homework Statement

The figure below shows a closed loop of wire that consists of a pair of equal semicircles, of radius 7.0 cm, lying in mutually perpendicular planes. The loop was formed by folding a flat circular loop along a diameter until the two halves became perpendicular to each other. A uniform magnetic field B of magnitude 91 mT is directed perpendicular to the fold diameter and makes equal angles (of 45°) with the planes of the semicircles. The magnetic field is reduced to zero at a uniform rate during a time interval of 39 ms. During this interval, what are the (a) magnitude and (b)direction (clockwise or counterclockwise when viewed along the direction of B) of the emf induced in the loop?
https://edugen.wileyplus.com/edugen/courses/crs7165/art/qb/qu/c30/pict_30_14.gif

Homework Equations

##
\frac{\mathrm{d} \Phi }{\mathrm{d} t}= - \varepsilon,
\Phi = \mathbf{B}\cdot \textbf{A} ##

The Attempt at a Solution

I summed up the flux through each semicircle and divided by delta t, but that gives the wrong answer (Part A is about the magnitude so there aren't any issues with the negative sign). I asked a tutor and he thought it should be done the same way (even looked it up online and saw the same method being used) Not sure where to go from here.

what answer did you get?...I got 2.3mV

Last edited by a moderator:
Biker said:
Your approach is correct, It is better to show your work so we can see what might have gone wrong.
Since the angle between the field and both sections of the area of the same, and the angle given is with the plane and not the normal
B*A*sin(theta) = flux
flux/change in time = emf
so:
(0.07^2*pi*91*10^-3 * sqrt(2)/2)/(39*10^-3) = 25 mV

lychette said:
what answer did you get?...I got 2.3mV
I got an answer slightly above 25 mV

GwtBc said:
I got an answer slightly above 25 mV
Yes that is the right answer, and to be precise.
25.3984 mV
Did you put your answer in an online website? or Did you find the answer to be different than what you got in a book?
If it is in an online website, Trying placing the exact value and not an approximation.

1. What is Induced EMF in a bent loop?

Induced EMF (electromotive force) in a bent loop refers to the voltage or electric potential that is generated in a closed loop of wire when it is moved or bent. This phenomenon is also known as Faraday's law of induction.

2. How is Induced EMF in a bent loop different from regular EMF?

Induced EMF in a bent loop is different from regular EMF because it is created by a changing magnetic field, rather than a chemical reaction or a battery as in regular EMF. In a bent loop, the magnetic field is created by the movement or bending of the loop itself.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of Induced EMF in a bent loop?

The magnitude of Induced EMF in a bent loop is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the speed or rate at which the loop is moving or being bent, and the number of turns in the loop. The greater these factors are, the higher the induced EMF will be.

4. How is Induced EMF in a bent loop used in real-world applications?

Induced EMF in a bent loop is used in many real-world applications, such as generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also used in devices like microphones and electric guitars, where sound waves create a varying magnetic field that induces an EMF in the coil of wire.

5. Can Induced EMF in a bent loop be harmful?

Induced EMF in a bent loop is generally not harmful to humans. However, in some cases, it can cause interference with electronic devices or disrupt the flow of electricity in a circuit. It is important to properly shield and ground electrical equipment to prevent any potential harm from induced EMF.