Infinite Atwood Machine (Morin Problem 3.3)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an infinite Atwood's machine and finding the acceleration of the top mass when all masses are simultaneously released. The conversation also mentions the use of Newton's Second Law and the concept of "conservation of strings" to try and solve the problem. However, the individual asking for help is still stuck and looking for further insight.
L = K - U
I could've peeked at the solution manual and end with it at that. However, I'm trying to change this nasty habit and solve this problem myself. I might be too ambitious. Here goes.

Homework Statement

Consider the infinite Atwood's machine shown. A string passes over each pulley, with one end attached to a mass and the other end attached to another pulley. All the masses are equal to [itex]m[/itex], and all the pulleys and strings are massless. The masses are held fixed and then simultaneously released. What is the acceleration of the top mass? (You may define this infinite system as follows. Consider it to be made of [itex] N[/itex] pulleys, with a nonzero mass replacing what would have been the [itex] (N+1)[/itex]th pulley. Then take the limit as [itex] N \rightarrow \infty[/itex])
56357689e9.d45788dbfe.ww1Xpo.jpg

Homework Equations

Newton's Second Law : [itex] \sum \mathbf{F} = m\mathbf{a} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Taking the upward direction to be positive, I started with Newton's Second law of motion for the Nth mass
[tex] \dfrac{T}{N} - mg = ma_N [/tex].
With this equation, I can quickly see that the mass at infinity would have an acceleration downwards of magnitude [itex] g[/itex] and the tension in the string will be zero.

I then tried to reduce the problem to a single atwood machine with mass [itex] m [/itex] on the left and [itex](N - 1)m[/itex] on the right. Solving using Newton's Laws and 'Conservation of string', I ended with
[tex] a = \bigg(1 - \dfrac{2}{N} \bigg)g[/tex]
taking the limit as N approches infinity, I will get an acceleration upwards with [itex] a = g [/itex]. However, the solution says (I'm only peeking at the answer, I swear.) that the correct answer is [itex] a = \dfrac{g}{2}[/itex]

My last resort is to return to the equation of motion for the Nth mass and try to find the relationship between all of the masses. I used a bunch of 'Conservation of Strings' and ended up with an equation that looks like it should mean something.
[tex] a^\prime_N = a_N + \sum_{i = 1}^{N-1} 2^{(N-1) - i}a_i[/tex]
with [itex] a^\prime_N[/itex] being the acceleration of the Nth mass in the frame accelerating downwards. From here, I tried to take the limit of the sum above but It blows up to infinity.

I'm truly stuck at this one and I need some insight on this problem.
Thanks in advance.

Likes DuckAmuck
Physics news on Phys.org
L = K - U said:
Taking the upward direction to be positive, I started with Newton's Second law of motion for the Nth mass
T/N−mg=maN
What is T here? If it is the tension in the string attached to the Nth mass, why isn't it TN-mg=maN? Or is that what you meant?

haruspex said:
What is T here? If it is the tension in the string attached to the Nth mass, why isn't it TN-mg=maN? Or is that what you meant?

I intended for [itex] T [/itex] to be the tension in the string attached to the first mass. Since the pulley is light, the tension should halve along each successful mass.

I must have typed it wrong in the original post, sorry there.

L = K - U said:
reduce the problem to a single atwood machine with mass m on the left and (N - 1)m on the right.
It is not clear to me that this has any relevance. The accelerations will not look like or approximate the problem at hand. The hint suggests just taking a finite version of the problem, so N lots of m, over separate pulleys as shown, on the left and one mass m on the right.

1. What is an Infinite Atwood Machine?

An Infinite Atwood Machine, also known as a Morin Problem 3.3, is a theoretical physics problem that involves an infinite number of masses connected by strings and pulleys. It is used to understand the concepts of tension, acceleration, and equilibrium in a system.

2. How does an Infinite Atwood Machine work?

In an Infinite Atwood Machine, the masses are connected by strings that pass over frictionless pulleys. One end of the string is attached to a fixed point, while the other end is attached to a hanging mass. As the hanging mass moves, it causes the other masses to move as well, creating a continuous cycle of motion.

3. What are the key equations used in solving an Infinite Atwood Machine?

The key equations used in solving an Infinite Atwood Machine are Newton's second law (F=ma), the equations for tension (T=mg) and acceleration (a=(m2-m1)g/(m2+m1)), and the concept of equilibrium (where the net force on each mass is equal to zero).

4. What are some real-world applications of an Infinite Atwood Machine?

An Infinite Atwood Machine can be used to model and understand systems such as elevators, cranes, and escalators. It can also be used to study the dynamics of a simple pendulum and to analyze the forces involved in weightlifting.

5. What are some common misconceptions about an Infinite Atwood Machine?

One common misconception is that the masses in an Infinite Atwood Machine are always equal. In reality, the masses can be different and the equations used to solve the problem will vary accordingly. Another misconception is that the system will continue to accelerate indefinitely, when in fact it will eventually reach a state of equilibrium where the masses are stationary.