Initial acceleration of a projectile incl air resistance

In summary, the conversation discusses using a spreadsheet to calculate acceleration for a projectile fired directly up with given conditions and equations. The initial acceleration is found to be a combination of gravity and air resistance terms, but the formula only works for the n+1 term. The issue is resolved by choosing a smaller value for delta t.
mitch_1211

Homework Statement

Conditions: (ii)x0 =0 and v0 =20ms−1
with a mass of 1 kg with c1 = 0.2kgs−1 and c2 = 0.02kgm−1

projectile is fired directly up (only considering motion in the EDIT y direction (previously x by mistake)) at 20m/s
given eqn can calculate acceleration at the n+1 term (i.e 1 second or 0.2 seconds etc, whatever is chosen for delta t) but I can't get it to work for the initial acceleration. In part 1, the projectile was freefalling (beginning at v=0 )so acceleration was just that of gravity (9.81m/s/s). I know that this time it will be gravity as well as some air resistance (drag) terms. The eqn attached gives those terms, but only for the n+1 term, i.e the next acceleration term. I can't get this to work for the initial conditions.

have defined gravity to be working in the neg direction, all things going up are positive and down are negative

Homework Equations

see attached image for eqns for position, velocity and acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution

i'm using a spreadsheet so as to organise my data quickly. I can get some values for acceleration, will also attach screen shot of the columns i used. My velocity reaches a terminal velocity instead of getting lower and lower. consequently the projectile never stops and never reaches the max height of its trajectory.

for used in spreadsheet for each n+1 term in acceleration;
=(($B$9)-(($B$10*S3)+($B$11*S3*(ABS(S3)))))

b9 is accl due to gravity = 9.81 (no neg sign is in the cell)
b10 is c1=0.2
b11 is c2=0.02
s3 can be seen from attached image (ignore what is on the left of the image, it is part 1, I'm working on case 2)

thanks!
Mitch

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• eqns.jpg
    eqns.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 305
  • spreadsheet.jpg
    spreadsheet.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 401
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
have since solved this problem. turns out using 0.2seconds for delta t makes the formula calculate too large a step (the motion only lasts 3 seconds) choosing delta t to be 0.01 seconds solved my problem

Related to Initial acceleration of a projectile incl air resistance

1. What is initial acceleration of a projectile?

The initial acceleration of a projectile is the rate at which the velocity of the projectile changes in the first few moments after it is launched or thrown. It is affected by factors such as gravity and air resistance.

2. How is initial acceleration of a projectile affected by air resistance?

Air resistance, also known as drag, opposes the motion of a projectile and reduces its initial acceleration. This is because air resistance creates a force that acts in the opposite direction of the projectile's motion, slowing it down.

3. How does the initial angle of a projectile affect its acceleration?

The initial angle of a projectile can affect its acceleration by changing the direction of its motion. When launched at an angle, the force of gravity will act both downwards and horizontally, resulting in a curved path and a slower initial acceleration compared to a vertically launched projectile.

4. How does the mass of a projectile impact its initial acceleration?

The mass of a projectile does not directly impact its initial acceleration. According to Newton's Second Law, the net force applied to an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. Therefore, if the force remains constant, the mass will not affect the acceleration.

5. What is the formula for calculating initial acceleration of a projectile?

The formula for calculating initial acceleration of a projectile is a = (F - Fdrag) / m, where a is the initial acceleration, F is the force applied to the projectile, Fdrag is the force of air resistance, and m is the mass of the projectile.