Initial and final value theorems

In summary: Well,I think that's right.Because I was right about the limit of dirac delta being zero as the argument goes to zero.www.Wolframalpha.com confirms that! and because sF(s) becomes infinite as s goes to infinity,you can't apply the theorem.
bl4ke360

Homework Statement

Find f(t) for the function F(s)=(10s^2+85s+95)/(s^2+6s+5) and apply the initial and final value theorems to each transform pair

Homework Equations

Initial value theorem: f(0)=lim s->∞ s(F(s))
Final value theorem: f(∞) = lim s->0 s(F(s))

The Attempt at a Solution

After dividing due to improper fraction:
F(s)= 10 + (25s+45)/(s^2+6s+5)

F(s)= 10+5/(s+1)+20/(s+5)
f(t)= 10δ(t)+[5e^(-t)+20e^(-5t)]u(t)

Where I'm confused is how I would apply the value theorems since there's an impulse function. When my professor did a similar problem and applied the theorems, I couldn't follow what she did, but the answer solution to this problem says the value theorems can't be applied to the function because the function is improper and the corresponding f(t) function contains an impulse.
How was my professor able to do it if it supposedly can't be done? Can someone please clarify this for me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Which transform are you talking about? Fourier,Laplace or what?

Laplace

Dirac delta is frequently explained as being zero everywhere except at one point which becomes infinite there.So [itex] \lim_{t\rightarrow 0}\delta(t)=0 [/itex]because although t is very near to 0,but it isn't equal to 0!

EDIT:Looks like I'm wrong...because [itex] \lim_{s\rightarrow\infty}sF(s)=\infty[/itex]!
So it seems we should have [itex] \lim_{t\rightarrow 0}\delta(t)=\infty[/itex]!

Shyan said:
Dirac delta is frequently explained as being zero everywhere except at one point.So [itex] \lim_{t\rightarrow 0}\delta(t)=0 [/itex]because although t is very near to 0,but it isn't equal to 0!

EDIT:Looks like I'm wrong...because [itex] \lim_{s\rightarrow\infty}sF(s)=\infty[/itex]!
So it seems we should have [itex] \lim_{t\rightarrow 0}\delta(t)=\infty[/itex]!

How did you get infinity for lim s → ∞ sF(s)? This says it's 25:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=lim+as+x-%3Einfinity+%2825x^2%2B45x%29%2F%28x^2%2B6x%2B5%29

bl4ke360 said:
How did you get infinity for lim s → ∞ sF(s)? This says it's 25:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=lim+as+x-%3Einfinity+%2825x^2%2B45x%29%2F%28x^2%2B6x%2B5%29

You forgot the 10s part!

Are you sure the limit applies to the 10 as well? When my professor did this type of problem she only applied the limit to the fractional part. I'm so confused because my professor, the solutions manual, and you are all saying different things so I have no idea what is correct.

bl4ke360 said:
Are you sure the limit applies to the 10 as well? When my professor did this type of problem she only applied the limit to the fractional part. I'm so confused because my professor, the solutions manual, and you are all saying different things so I have no idea what is correct.

Its simple.The theorem urges us to find [itex] \lim_{s \rightarrow \infty} sF(s) [/itex] and whether you like it or not,10s is part of sF(s)!
Its helpful to ask one of your classmates about the explanations that your teacher were giving while doing that.
Also you can tell us what your solution manual and your teacher say,not only the results,but also the explanations!

Shyan said:
Its simple.The theorem urges us to find [itex] \lim_{s \rightarrow \infty} sF(s) [/itex] and whether you like it or not,10s is part of sF(s)!
Its helpful to ask one of your classmates about the explanations that your teacher were giving while doing that.
Also you can tell us what your solution manual and your teacher say,not only the results,but also the explanations!

Well I won't have time for that, my final is in 10 hours lol. This is what the solution manual says:

20ab6lv.jpg

bl4ke360 said:
Well I won't have time for that, my final is in 10 hours lol. This is what the solution manual says:

20ab6lv.jpg

Well,I think that's right.Because I was right about the limit of dirac delta being zero as the argument goes to zero.www.Wolframalpha.com confirms that! and because sF(s) becomes infinite as s goes to infinity,you can't apply the theorem.

1. What is the initial value theorem?

The initial value theorem is a mathematical concept used in the field of engineering and control systems. It states that the value of a function or signal at the beginning of a time interval can be determined by taking the limit as time approaches zero.

2. How is the initial value theorem used in real-world applications?

The initial value theorem is used to analyze and predict the behavior of physical systems. It is commonly used in the design and analysis of electrical circuits, mechanical systems, and chemical processes. It is also used in signal processing and data analysis to understand the initial state of a system.

3. What is the final value theorem?

The final value theorem is a mathematical concept that complements the initial value theorem. It states that the value of a function or signal at the end of a time interval can be determined by taking the limit as time approaches infinity.

4. How is the final value theorem used in real-world applications?

The final value theorem is used to analyze the long-term behavior of physical systems. It is commonly used to predict the steady-state behavior of systems, such as the stability of control systems or the convergence of iterative algorithms. It is also used in signal processing and data analysis to understand the overall trend of a signal.

5. What are the limitations of the initial and final value theorems?

The initial and final value theorems are based on the assumption that the system in question is linear and time-invariant. This means that the system's behavior does not change over time and is not affected by external factors. Additionally, these theorems are only applicable to systems with continuous inputs and outputs, and may not accurately predict the behavior of systems with discontinuous inputs or outputs.