Initial phase determination in a wave

In summary, the speaker is struggling to solve an exercise involving a wave equation and is seeking help to prove the amplitude and initial phase of the wave. They have attempted to use trigonometric identities but are having trouble finding the correct phase. They are looking for guidance on using trigonometry to solve the problem.
Jos_Moreira

Homework Statement

I'm having trouble solving the following exercise:
Given the following wave equation:
y=0.01cos(wt-kx)+0.02*6^(1/2)sin(wt-kx)
prove that if w=16s^-1 and k=6m^-1 then the amplitude of the wave is 0.05 meters and the initial phase is -pi/4 how can I prove that? By phasor addiction probably but I can't go far that way. can someone show me how to do it?
Thank you

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted sin(wt-kx) to cos(wt-kx-pi/2) so I can write the phasor corresponding to each cosine and attempt to add then an see what I get back, but what I get back I the equation I started with with the cos(wt-kx-pi/2) back as sin(wt-kx) by looking att the trignometric identity: acos(A)+bsin(B)=[tex]\sqrt{b^2+a^2}[/tex]*sin(A+C) where C is arctan([tex]\frac{b}{a}[/tex]) i could get the amplitude, but the phase I get is diffrent.

Physics news on Phys.org
can't you use trig to turn cos(A-B) into cosAcosB+sinAsinB, turn sin(A-B) to sinAcosB-cosAsinB

1. What is initial phase determination in a wave?

Initial phase determination in a wave refers to the process of determining the starting point or reference point of a wave. It is used to describe the position of a wave at a specific moment in time.

2. Why is it important to determine the initial phase of a wave?

Determining the initial phase of a wave is important because it provides a reference point for measuring the amplitude and frequency of the wave. It also helps to understand the behavior and characteristics of the wave.

3. How is the initial phase of a wave determined?

The initial phase of a wave can be determined by measuring the position of the wave at a specific time and comparing it to the known starting position of the wave. This can be done using various instruments such as oscilloscopes or by using mathematical equations.

4. What is the relationship between initial phase and wavelength?

The initial phase of a wave is directly related to its wavelength. The initial phase determines the starting position of the wave, and the wavelength is the distance between two consecutive points on the wave that are in phase with each other.

5. Can the initial phase of a wave change?

Yes, the initial phase of a wave can change if there is a change in the starting position or if there is interference from other waves. In some cases, the initial phase can also be intentionally altered to produce specific wave patterns or frequencies.