What are the dimensions and boundaries for different types of integrals?

In summary, Homework Equations states that cosine and sine substitution can be used to find limits on a circle. However, an unknown factor needs to be replaced with the square root of 1-y^2. Then, the limits for x and y need to be found.
jaus tail

Homework Statement

upload_2018-1-6_10-16-46.png
[/B]

Homework Equations

Substitution.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the circle is of unit radius and around origin,
limits are x = -1 to 1, and y = -1 to 1

I replaced x by cos t, and y by sin t.
But what to put in place of ds?
I thought about divergence theorem, but then I'd have to find curl of F.
How to break ds in terms of dx + dy or dt?

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-6_10-16-46.png
    upload_2018-1-6_10-16-46.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 1,098
Physics news on Phys.org
upload_2018-1-6_10-29-4.png

I wrote as 2 parts
Total integral = blue part + red part
Blue part = x = -square root (1 - y2) . limits of y are -1 to +1
For red part x = +square root (1 - y2) . limits of y are +1 to -1
But how to resolve ds in terms of x and y.

I tried with ds = dx dy but didn't get answer
upload_2018-1-6_11-29-10.png

I'm getting answer as 2 * 3.14 divide by 3. But that's not in options. Book answer is A.
Is my ds = dx dy right or is ds = i dx + j dy?

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-6_10-29-4.png
    upload_2018-1-6_10-29-4.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 721
  • upload_2018-1-6_11-23-53.png
    upload_2018-1-6_11-23-53.png
    41.9 KB · Views: 449
  • upload_2018-1-6_11-24-4.png
    upload_2018-1-6_11-24-4.png
    41.9 KB · Views: 485
  • upload_2018-1-6_11-29-10.png
    upload_2018-1-6_11-29-10.png
    50.8 KB · Views: 708
Last edited:
Use ##ds^2 = dx^2+dy^2##. Also, it's probably easiest to do this integral after converting to polar coordinates.

Likes jaus tail
But doesn't ds mean surface integral? So ds = dx multiplied by dy ?

No, ds is the curve length.

vela said:
Use ##ds^2 = dx^2+dy^2##. Also, it's probably easiest to do this integral after converting to polar coordinates.
Essentially, the curve parametrisation given does this for you as it is parametrising the circle using the polar angle.

Likes jaus tail
Okay.
and for limits:
x = cos t
x = -1 to + 1
so t = 180 to 0 degrees

y = sin t
y = -1 to + 1
so t = -90 to + 90
I'm confused which limits to take.
upload_2018-1-6_10-29-4-png.png

Is the drawing above correct of ds region?

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-6_10-29-4-png.png
    upload_2018-1-6_10-29-4-png.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 627
No. The integral is taken around the border of the circle. Not over a two-dimensional region. The curve parameter should be chosen such that you complete one full turn.

Likes jaus tail
upload_2018-1-6_14-28-16.png

theta = positive angle. So i have theta = 0 to 180 and theta = -180 to 0?
x = r cos theta. y = r sin theta. This helps. r is given to be 1 in question.

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-6_14-28-16.png
    upload_2018-1-6_14-28-16.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 625
jaus tail said:
So i have theta = 0 to 180 and theta = -180 to 0?
Why not just -180 to 180? Also note that the angle should be given in radians in order for ##ds## to be conveniently expressed in terms of it.

Likes jaus tail
Okay that gives the answer. Thanks. But I still didn't understand why dS = line integral and not surface.
As per book:
dl = line, ds = surface, dv = volume.

Do not confuse capital and small letters. Also, it is not always the case that notation is unique between different references.

Okay. So:
had it been like: compute integral by region bounded by circle. Then it would've been surface integral, right?
And for volume integral it's region enclosed.

jaus tail said:
Okay that gives the answer. Thanks. But I still didn't understand why dS = line integral and not surface.
As per book:
dl = line, ds = surface, dv = volume.
Here are the commonly used symbols:
ds -- increment of arc length
dV -- increment of volume
dS or dA - increment of area of a surface (the wikipedia article on Surface Integral uses dΣ)
As Orodruin already said, don't confuse uppercase and lowercase letters -- they are often used to mean different things.

The problem could have been stated more clearly, but a clue to their intent is "compute [the integral] around the circle..."

Last edited:
Likes jaus tail
jaus tail said:
But doesn't ds mean surface integral? So ds = dx multiplied by dy ?
The " Infinitesimal Length" depends on the parametrization, on the region over which you are integrating. Informally, dx=1dx, dy=1dy are infinitesimal straight-line displacement. Change of variable using parametrization "corrects" this.

Likes jaus tail
jaus tail said:
Okay. So:
had it been like: compute integral by region bounded by circle. Then it would've been surface integral, right?
And for volume integral it's region enclosed.

Enclosed or bounded are the same: will either be area or volume, depending on what is the dimension (2D vs. 3D).

Likes jaus tail
In general, the boundary of a manifold is of dimension one higher than the manifold they are bounding.

Likes jaus tail
WWGD said:
In general, the boundary of a manifold is of dimension one higher than the manifold they are bounding.
Lower.

Likes jaus tail
Orodruin said:
Lower.
FALSE Statement: In general, the boundary of a manifold is of dimension one higher than the manifold they are bounding.
(Lower-enough Orodruin ;) ?)
EDIT: The boundary of a manifold is one dimension lower than the manifold it bounds.

Last edited:
Likes jaus tail
WWGD said:
FALSE Statement: In general, the boundary of a manifold is of dimension one higher than the manifold they are bounding.
EDIT: The boundary of a manifold is one dimension lower than the manifold it bounds.
And the grammar is now correct, as well, with the pronoun agreeing in number with its antecedent.

Likes Delta2 and jaus tail
Meaning?
For line integral, dimension is metre. Boundary dimension is also metre.
For surface integral, dimension is dx, dy so metre square. Boundary dimension is ??
Volumte integral, dimension is metre cube.

jaus tail said:
Meaning?
For line integral, dimension is metre. Boundary dimension is also metre.
In a line integral, you're calculating the length of the curve, which could be meters, centimeters, feet, miles, whatever.
jaus tail said:
For surface integral, dimension is dx, dy so metre square. Boundary dimension is ??
The boundary of such a surface would be a one-dimensional figure, embedded in a space of higher dimension.
Also, the integral does not have to have dx and dy -- it could be in terms of polar coordinates ##dr## and ##d\theta##.
jaus tail said:
Volumte integral, dimension is metre cube.

Likes Ronald Hamilton and jaus tail

1. What is an integral around a circle?

An integral around a circle is a mathematical concept that involves calculating the area enclosed by a circle using integration. It is also known as the circular integral or line integral.

2. How is the integral around a circle different from a regular integral?

The integral around a circle involves integrating along a closed path, specifically a circle, instead of a straight line. This means that the limits of integration will change, as well as the equation used to calculate the area.

3. Why is the integral around a circle useful?

The integral around a circle is useful because it allows us to calculate the area enclosed by a circle, which is a common shape in many mathematical and scientific fields. It also has applications in physics, such as calculating the work done by a conservative force around a circular path.

4. What is the formula for the integral around a circle?

The formula for the integral around a circle is ∫ab f(x) dx = ∫ab f(x(t)) x'(t) dt, where a and b are the limits of integration and x'(t) is the derivative of the parameterized curve x(t) that defines the circle.

5. Can the integral around a circle be used for any shape?

No, the integral around a circle can only be used for shapes that can be parameterized as a circle. This means that the shape must have a continuous and differentiable boundary that can be expressed as a function of a single variable.