1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral from Hell

1. Feb 26, 2009 #1
    Integral from Hell!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex]\int
    \frac{\sqrt{ln(9-x}}{\sqrt{ln(9-x} + \sqrt{ln(x+3)}}
    dx
    [/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    woe = me

3. The attempt at a solution
    Tried all the algerbraic manipulations I could think of, can't figure out a substitution either.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2009 #2
    Re: Integral from Hell!!

Have you tried multipying by the conjugate? Just a guess ( not a hint guess, but a real guess)

4. Feb 26, 2009 #3

Tried didn't get me anywhere seemingly

5. Feb 26, 2009 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is this supposed to be an indefinite integral, or are you given limits? Also, are you sure it is exactly as written above?

6. Feb 26, 2009 #5

limits from 2 to 4, figured i'd just get help getting the anti derivative

7. Feb 26, 2009 #6

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't think there is a general antiderivative; but I suspect that the limits allow you to use some trick (like in the 1/(1+tan^b (x) ) thread).....hmmmm, let me see....

8. Feb 26, 2009 #7

Holy crap this is linear! anyone care to help me figure out why?

9. Feb 26, 2009 #8

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Really?!...Doesn't look exactly linear to me....It looks close to a straight line, but not really.

10. Feb 26, 2009 #9

I could have been mistaken

11. Feb 26, 2009 #10

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'd start by dividing the numerator and denominator by [itex]\sqrt{\ln(9-x)}[/itex]...

12. Feb 26, 2009 #11

nice one! how didn't i see that!!

13. Feb 26, 2009 #12

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Lol , actually, I'm still trying to see why the area under [tex]\frac{1}{1+\left(\frac{\ln(3+x)}{\ln(9-x)}\right)^b}[/tex] is the same as the area under [tex]\frac{1}{1+\left(\frac{\ln(9-x)}{\ln(3+x)}\right)^b}[/tex]

Is there some proof I'm not remembering?

14. Feb 26, 2009 #13

not that i know of, i'm kind of stuck at that point now I don't see any substitutions that would make things simpler from here.

15. Feb 26, 2009 #14

[tex]\frac{\frac{\ln(3+x)}{\ln(9-x)}^b}{1+\left(\frac{\ln(3+x)}{\ln(9-x)}\right)^b}[/tex]

16. Feb 26, 2009 #15

I dont see that going anywhere, anyone got ideas?

17. Feb 26, 2009 #16

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sure, [tex]\frac{1}{1+\left(\frac{\ln(9-x)}{\ln(3+x)}\right)^b}= \frac{\frac{\ln(3+x)}{\ln(9-x)}^b}{1+\left(\frac{\ln(3+x)}{\ln(9-x)}\right)^b}[/tex]

so [tex]\frac{1}{1+\left(\frac{\ln(3+x)}{\ln(9-x)}\right)^b}+\frac{1}{1+\left(\frac{\ln(9-x)}{\ln(3+x)}\right)^b}=1[/tex]

But that doesn't explain why the area under [tex]\frac{1}{1+\left(\frac{\ln(3+x)}{\ln(9-x)}\right)^b}[/tex] is equal to the area under [tex]\frac{1}{1+\left(\frac{\ln(9-x)}{\ln(3+x)}\right)^b}[/tex] over that interval (although I know from mathematica that it is)

18. Feb 26, 2009 #17

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hmmm....what do you get when you flip the function [tex]\frac{1}{1+\left(\frac{\ln(3+x)}{\ln(9-x)}\right)^b}[/tex] over the line [itex]x=3[/itex]?

You may need to look in your linear algebra text, under the transformations/reflections section for this one)

19. Feb 26, 2009 #18

I think I'm giving up!! This was one of 4 challenge problems my professor gave... I think I got 2 of the others I don't know on this one haha.

20. Feb 26, 2009 #19

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  21. Feb 26, 2009 #20

Of course not, nice job finding that out, not sure if it is gonna help me compute the integral.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook