Solving Double Integrals with Polar Coordinates: What's the Correct Approach?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the double integral of a given function using polar coordinates. The exchange includes discussions about the use of polar coordinates, finding the limits for the integral, and dealing with the issue of ln(0). The final solution involves fixing θ and finding the appropriate limit for r, which varies depending on the value of θ.
Ted123

Homework Statement

Find [tex]\int \left( \int \frac{x^2-y^2}{(x^2+y^2)^2} \;dx \right) dy.[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

How would I go about finding [itex]\int \frac{x^2-y^2}{(x^2+y^2)^2} \;dx[/itex]?

If I made the substitution [itex]u^2=x^2+y^2[/itex] how do I go from here?

Physics news on Phys.org

Use polar coordinates.

dirk_mec1 said:
Use polar coordinates.

So letting [tex]x=r\cos \theta[/tex][tex]y=r\sin\theta[/tex] what would be the limits of the [itex]r[/itex] integral and the [itex]\theta[/itex] integral if [itex]x\in [0,1][/itex] and [itex]y\in [0,1][/itex]?

Come on, Ted! :rolleyes:

θ obviously goes from 0 to π/2

and, for a fixed value of θ, r goes from 0 to … ? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Come on, Ted! :rolleyes:

θ obviously goes from 0 to π/2

and, for a fixed value of θ, r goes from 0 to … ? :smile:

Well if [itex]0 \leq \theta \leq \frac{\pi}{2}[/itex] and [itex]0 \leq r \leq 1[/itex] then [tex]\int^1_0 \int^1_0 \frac{x^2-y^2}{(x^2+y^2)^2}dxdy = \int^{\frac{\pi}{2}}_0 \int^1_0 \frac{\cos(2\theta)}{r} drd\theta[/tex]

but what do I do about [itex]\ln(0)[/itex]?

Ted123 said:
Well if [itex]0 \leq \theta \leq \frac{\pi}{2}[/itex] and [itex]0 \leq r \leq 1[/itex]

No! It's a square!

How can r go from 0 to 1 to make a square? :redface:

tiny-tim said:
No! It's a square!

How can r go from 0 to 1 to make a square? :redface:

If [itex]0 \leq r \leq \sqrt{2}[/itex] then I'm still faced with a [itex][\ln(r)]^{\sqrt{2}}_0[/itex]

Ted, to find the limit you have to fix θ, and see where r goes between for that value of θ.

So your r limit will be a function of θ.

(btw, in this particular case, you'll need separate functions for θ ≤ π/4 and θ > π/4 :wink:)

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to find the total amount or value of a quantity, and is an important tool in calculus.

2. Why are integral homework problems considered tough?

Integral homework problems are often considered tough because they require a deep understanding of mathematical concepts, as well as the ability to apply various techniques and formulas to solve them. They also tend to involve complex calculations, making them challenging for some students.

3. How can I improve my skills in solving integral homework problems?

The best way to improve your skills in solving integral homework problems is through practice. Make sure to understand the underlying concepts and techniques, and then attempt as many problems as you can. You can also seek help from a tutor or join a study group to get additional support and guidance.

4. Are there any tips or tricks for solving integral homework problems?

Yes, there are some tips and tricks that can make solving integral homework problems easier. One is to always start by identifying the type of integral you are dealing with, and then use the appropriate technique or formula to solve it. You can also break the problem into smaller parts and solve them individually, or use tricks such as substitution or integration by parts to simplify the problem.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving integral homework problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving integral homework problems include not understanding the underlying concepts, using the wrong formula or technique, and making calculation errors. It is important to double-check your work and seek help if you are unsure about a particular step. It is also helpful to practice and review your mistakes to learn from them and improve your skills.