Integral of a Fraction: Solving with Substitution and Integration by Parts

In summary, the student was trying to solve a problem involving integrals, but was having difficulty. He eventually found a solution by using substitution and long division, but was not sure if he was on the right track. He checked the answer to see if he was correct, but realized that he was not. He then used polynomial division to find the answer.
aquitaine

Homework Equations

[tex]\int\sqrt{x^{3}}+1/\sqrt{x}+1[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried substitution, but that wouldn't work. I tried integration by parts, but I must not have done it properly since my answer was several factors of x off. Am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use parenthesis! I'm assuming your problem is:

[tex]\int\frac{\sqrt{x^3} +1}{\sqrt x+1}dx[/tex]

So, where is your work? Thanks :)

aquitaine said:

Homework Equations

[tex]\int\sqrt{x^{3}}+1/\sqrt{x}+1[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried substitution, but that wouldn't work. I tried integration by parts, but I must not have done it properly since my answer was several factors of x off. Am I missing something?
Please use brackets!

Now it isn't clear what your integral is. :frown:

Is it the integral below? Is het root taken only of x^3 and x or the whole term?

[tex] \int \frac{ \sqrt{x^3}+1}{\sqrt{x}+1} \mbox{d}x [/tex]

Assuming rocomath is correct in formulating the problem, try long division before integration

rocomath said:
Use parenthesis! I'm assuming your problem is:

[tex]\int\frac{\sqrt{x^3} +1}{\sqrt x+1}dx[/tex]

So, where is your work? Thanks :)

Right. Here's my work:

u=x[tex]^{3/2}[/tex]+ 1 du= [tex]\frac{3}{2}[/tex]x[tex]^{1/2}[/tex]
dv = x[tex]^{1/2}[/tex] + 1 v= 2x[tex]^{3/2}[/tex] + x

After that I decided to check the answer before proceeding further to see if I was on the right track, which I wasn't. The books answer was (1/2)x^2 - (3/2)x[tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex] + x + C, and I'm at a loss as to how that happened.

I let [tex]x=u^2 \rightarrow dx=2udu[/tex]

Then I used polynomial division.

Last edited:
divide sqrt(x)+1 into x*sqrt(x)+1, the integration then becomes very straight forward

RTW69 said:
divide sqrt(x)+1 into x*sqrt(x)+1, the integration then becomes very straight forward

Quite so, or factor [tex]x^{3/2} + 1[/tex] as a sum of two cubes...

dynamicsolo said:
Quite so, or factor [tex]x^{3/2} + 1[/tex] as a sum of two cubes...
Oh! Very nice, didn't even notice that.

thanks guys!

1. What is the definition of the integral of a fraction?

The integral of a fraction is a mathematical operation that involves finding the antiderivative of a given fraction. It is denoted by the symbol ∫ and is used to calculate the area under the curve of a function.

2. How is the integral of a fraction calculated?

The integral of a fraction is calculated using the power rule, where the exponent of the variable in the fraction is increased by one and then divided by the new exponent. For example, the integral of x^(n) is (x^(n+1))/(n+1).

3. What is the difference between indefinite and definite integrals of a fraction?

An indefinite integral of a fraction is the general solution of the integral, whereas a definite integral is a specific value obtained by evaluating the integral within a given range of values. The indefinite integral has a constant term, while the definite integral does not.

4. Can the integral of a fraction be negative?

Yes, the integral of a fraction can be negative. The sign of the integral depends on the limits of integration and the function being integrated. If the area under the curve is below the x-axis, the integral will be negative.

5. What are some applications of the integral of a fraction?

The integral of a fraction has various applications in physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to calculate the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of moving objects, as well as the work done by a force. In economics, it is used to calculate the total profit or loss of a business over a given time period.