1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral of Square of Reciprocal of √(a + cos t)

1. Apr 29, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Integral of Square of Reciprocal of √(a + cos t)

The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Demonstrate that

[tex]\int_0^\pi \frac{dt}{(a + \cos t)^2} = \frac{a\pi}{(\sqrt{a^2 - 1})^3}[/tex]

where a > 0.

The attempt at a solution
    I want to compute this using the Residue Theorem. The first thing I did was make the substitution [itex]\theta / 2 = t[/itex] so that

[tex]\int_0^\pi \frac{dt}{(a + \cos t)^2} = \int_0^{2\pi} \frac{d\theta}{2(a + \cos \theta/2)^2}[/tex]

I then made the substitution [itex]z = e^{i\theta/2}[/itex] so that

[tex]\int_0^{2\pi} \frac{d\theta}{2(a + \cos \theta/2)^2} = \int_{|z|=1} \frac{4z}{i(z^2 + 2az + 1)^2} \, dz = \int_{|z|=1} \frac{4z}{i(z - z_0)^2(z - z_1)^2} \, dz[/tex]

[tex]\begin{align*}z_0 &= \frac{-a + \sqrt{a^2 - 1}}{2}\\
    z_1 &= \frac{-a - \sqrt{a^2 - 1}}{2}\end{align*}[/tex]

Call the integrand of the last integral f(z). By the Residue Theorem

[tex]\int_{C} f(z) \, dz = 2\pi i \sum_{u \in D} \text{Res}(f; u)[/tex]

where u is a pole of f, C is the unit circle and D is its interior. The only possible poles are [itex]z_0, z_1[/itex]. I know [itex]z_0[/itex] is in D for all a > 0. However, [itex]z_1[/itex] is not in D if a > 5/4. What do I in this case? I would condition on the value of a but then my answer won't match up with that of the problem statement.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

First off I think the condition that you want on a is a>1. The right hand side of what you want to prove is imaginary and the left side doesn't exist if 0<a<=1. Second, check the roots of your quadratic. You have an extra factor of 1/2 in there. I think you will find z0 is always in D and z1 never is.
  4. Apr 29, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Also z=exp(i*theta/2) for 0 to 2pi doesn't go all of the way around |z|=1. I think the substitution you want is just z=exp(i*theta). Start by just changing the limits on your original integral to 0 to 2pi. That will give you twice the answer you want, so you can just divide the result by 2. cos(theta) is symmetric around theta=pi.
  5. Apr 29, 2008 #4
    I followed your suggestions and obtained the answer. Thanks a lot.
  6. Apr 29, 2008 #5
    ahh this is a good problem
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?