Integral of Square of Reciprocal of √(a + cos t)

In summary, the integral of the square of the reciprocal of the square root of the sum of a and cosine of t can be solved using the Residue Theorem. By making appropriate substitutions and using the Residue Theorem, it can be shown that the integral equals the product of a, pi, and the reciprocal of the cube of the square root of a squared minus 1. This solution is valid for a greater than 1.
e(ho0n3
[SOLVED] Integral of Square of Reciprocal of √(a + cos t)

Homework Statement
Demonstrate that

[tex]\int_0^\pi \frac{dt}{(a + \cos t)^2} = \frac{a\pi}{(\sqrt{a^2 - 1})^3}[/tex]

where a > 0.

The attempt at a solution
I want to compute this using the Residue Theorem. The first thing I did was make the substitution [itex]\theta / 2 = t[/itex] so that

[tex]\int_0^\pi \frac{dt}{(a + \cos t)^2} = \int_0^{2\pi} \frac{d\theta}{2(a + \cos \theta/2)^2}[/tex]

I then made the substitution [itex]z = e^{i\theta/2}[/itex] so that

[tex]\int_0^{2\pi} \frac{d\theta}{2(a + \cos \theta/2)^2} = \int_{|z|=1} \frac{4z}{i(z^2 + 2az + 1)^2} \, dz = \int_{|z|=1} \frac{4z}{i(z - z_0)^2(z - z_1)^2} \, dz[/tex]

where

[tex]\begin{align*}z_0 &= \frac{-a + \sqrt{a^2 - 1}}{2}\\
z_1 &= \frac{-a - \sqrt{a^2 - 1}}{2}\end{align*}[/tex]

Call the integrand of the last integral f(z). By the Residue Theorem

[tex]\int_{C} f(z) \, dz = 2\pi i \sum_{u \in D} \text{Res}(f; u)[/tex]

where u is a pole of f, C is the unit circle and D is its interior. The only possible poles are [itex]z_0, z_1[/itex]. I know [itex]z_0[/itex] is in D for all a > 0. However, [itex]z_1[/itex] is not in D if a > 5/4. What do I in this case? I would condition on the value of a but then my answer won't match up with that of the problem statement.

Physics news on Phys.org
First off I think the condition that you want on a is a>1. The right hand side of what you want to prove is imaginary and the left side doesn't exist if 0<a<=1. Second, check the roots of your quadratic. You have an extra factor of 1/2 in there. I think you will find z0 is always in D and z1 never is.

Also z=exp(i*theta/2) for 0 to 2pi doesn't go all of the way around |z|=1. I think the substitution you want is just z=exp(i*theta). Start by just changing the limits on your original integral to 0 to 2pi. That will give you twice the answer you want, so you can just divide the result by 2. cos(theta) is symmetric around theta=pi.

I followed your suggestions and obtained the answer. Thanks a lot.

ahh this is a good problem

1. What is the formula for calculating the integral of the square of the reciprocal of √(a + cos t)?

The formula for calculating the integral of the square of the reciprocal of √(a + cos t) is ∫(1/(a + cos t))^2 dt. This can also be written as ∫(a + cos t)^(-2) dt.

2. How do you solve the integral of the square of the reciprocal of √(a + cos t)?

To solve this integral, you can use trigonometric substitutions or partial fractions, depending on the value of 'a' in the equation. You can also use the power rule if 'a' is equal to 1. It is recommended to use a graphing calculator to check your answer.

3. Is there a specific range for the value of 'a' in the integral of the square of the reciprocal of √(a + cos t)?

Yes, there is a specific range for the value of 'a' in this integral. The value of 'a' must be greater than or equal to -1 and less than 1 for the integral to converge.

4. What is the significance of the integral of the square of the reciprocal of √(a + cos t) in mathematics?

The integral of the square of the reciprocal of √(a + cos t) has various applications in mathematics, such as in the study of elliptic integrals, differential equations, and complex analysis. It also has connections to physics, such as in the study of harmonic oscillators and fluid dynamics.

5. Can the integral of the square of the reciprocal of √(a + cos t) be evaluated using software or online tools?

Yes, there are various software and online tools available that can evaluate this integral. Some examples include Wolfram Alpha, Symbolab, and Desmos. However, it is always recommended to double check the results using other methods or a graphing calculator.