Finding Integral Over [0,2pi] with Square Root Function

• Thread starter Alexx1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, an integral over [0,2pi] is a mathematical operation that calculates the area under a curve between the values of 0 and 2pi on the x-axis. It is calculated using the fundamental theorem of calculus and is significant because it represents a full cycle of a trigonometric function. This integral can have both positive and negative values, and it has various real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy.
Alexx1
I have to find: [tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi}\sqrt{t^2+2} dt[/tex]

I found that [tex]\int \sqrt{t^2+2} dt = \frac{t\sqrt{t^2+2}}{2} - arcsin(\frac{t}{\sqrt{2}}) + c[/tex]

But when I fill in [tex]2\pi[/tex] I get: [tex]\frac{2\pi \sqrt{4\pi ^2+2}}{2}- arcsin(\frac{2\pi }{\sqrt{2}})[/tex]

but [tex]arcsin(\frac{2\pi }{\sqrt{2}})[/tex] doesn't exist..

Have I done something wrong?Problem solved!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you mean arcsinh rather than arcsin, don't you?

What is an integral over [0,2pi]?

An integral over [0,2pi] is a mathematical operation that calculates the area under a curve between the values of 0 and 2pi on the x-axis.

How is an integral over [0,2pi] calculated?

An integral over [0,2pi] is calculated using the fundamental theorem of calculus, which involves breaking down the curve into smaller parts and finding the sum of the areas of those parts.

What is the significance of [0,2pi] in an integral?

The range of [0,2pi] is significant because it represents a full cycle of a trigonometric function, such as sine or cosine. This range is commonly used in math and physics to represent one complete revolution or cycle.

Can an integral over [0,2pi] have negative values?

Yes, an integral over [0,2pi] can have both positive and negative values. The negative values indicate that the area under the curve is below the x-axis, while positive values indicate that the area is above the x-axis.

What are some real-world applications of an integral over [0,2pi]?

An integral over [0,2pi] is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the work done by a variable force, the displacement of an object, or the total charge or current in a circuit. It is also used in astronomy to calculate the area of a planet's orbit or the amount of light emitted from a star over a certain period of time.