Integral Question: Why Do Answers Differ?

• Thread starter The_ArtofScience
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation is about a question dealing with an integral and the use of trig and regular substitution methods. The person made a mistake in their trig substitution but was able to correct it with the help of another person. The final answer for the integral is \sqrt{x^2-4}+C.
The_ArtofScience

Homework Statement

I have a question dealing with this integral: [tex]\int\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2-4}}[/tex]. I did the trig substitution to check my other method of substitution and got two different answers: [tex]\sqrt{x^2-4}[/tex] and [tex]\sqrt{x^2-4}/2[/tex]. The latter is from trig substitution and the former from regular substitution.

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, here is my work for the trig substitution

x=2sec@
dx=2sec@tan@
(x^2-4) = 4tan^2@

I finally get the integral of sec^2@ which gives me tan@ and looking from the triangle I drew its answer is [tex]\sqrt{x^2-4}/2[/tex]. Why don't these two answers agree? Is there some rule suggesting not to use trig substitution or one way over the other?

Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh! I made a mistake with a coefficient, they agree with each other! Sorry

The_ArtofScience said:

Homework Statement

I have a question dealing with this integral: [tex]\int\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2-4}}[/tex]. I did the trig substitution to check my other method of substitution and got two different answers: [tex]\sqrt{x^2-4}[/tex] and [tex]\sqrt{x^2-4}/2[/tex]. The latter is from trig substitution and the former from regular substitution.

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, here is my work for the trig substitution

x=2sec@
dx=2sec@tan@
(x^2-4) = 4tan^2@

I finally get the integral of sec^2@ which gives me tan@ and looking from the triangle I drew its answer is [tex]\sqrt{x^2-4}/2[/tex]. Why don't these two answers agree? Is there some rule suggesting not to use trig substitution or one way over the other?

Thank You
You skipped over the critical step! Yes, if you let [itex]x= 2 sec(\theta)[/itex], then dx= 2sec(\theta)tan(\theta)d\theta[/itex] (you dropped the "[itex]d\theta[/itex]" just as you dropped the "dx" in the original integral- bad habit.) and [itex]x^2- 4= 4tan^2(\theta)[/itex] so [itex]\sqrt{x^2- 4}= 2 tan^2(\theta)[/itex]. Did you forget that the"4" in [itex]4 tan^2(\theta)[/itex] became "2" when you took the square root?

Now, the part you skipped- putting all that into the integral.
[tex]\int\frac{x dx}{\sqrt{x^2- 4}}= \int \frac{[2 sec(\theta)][2sec(\theta)tan(\theta)d\theta}{2 tan(\theta)}[/tex]
[tex]= 2\int sec^2(\theta)d\theta= 2 tan(\theta)+ C= 2tan(sec^{-1}(\frac{x}{2})+ C[/tex]
Notice the "2" still in there?

Now, if [itex]sec(\theta)= x/2[/itex], then we can represent that as a triangle with angle [itex]\theta[/itex], near side= 2, and hypotenuse= x. By the Pythagorean theorem, the opposite side has length [itex]\sqrt{x^2- 4}[/itex] and so [itex]tan(\theta)= \sqrt{x^2- 4}/2[/itex]. But because of the "2" multiplying the integral,
[tex]\int \frac{x dx}{\sqrt{x^2- 4}}= \sqrt{x^2- 4}+ C[/tex]
exactly as you would get if you make the substitution u= x2- 4.

Excellent Halls,

I found my mistake but thanks for showing me the extended steps, :D

1. Why is it important to understand why answers differ in science?

Understanding why answers differ is crucial in science because it allows scientists to critically evaluate their own research and the research of others. By understanding the reasons behind differing answers, scientists can identify potential flaws in their methods or biases that may have influenced their results. This leads to a more accurate and reliable understanding of a particular topic or phenomenon.

2. What are some common reasons for differing answers in scientific research?

There are several potential reasons for differing answers in scientific research. Some common factors include the use of different research methods, varying sample sizes, differences in data interpretation, and the presence of confounding variables. Additionally, personal biases and funding sources can also play a role in producing differing answers.

3. How can scientists address differing answers in their research?

Scientists can address differing answers in their research by critically examining their methods and results, seeking out alternative explanations, and replicating their studies. They can also collaborate with other scientists to compare and contrast their findings, which can lead to a better understanding of the topic at hand. Additionally, open communication and transparency in the scientific community can help to identify and address any discrepancies in research.

4. How do differing answers impact the scientific community?

Differing answers can have a significant impact on the scientific community. They can lead to debates and discussions among scientists, which can ultimately lead to a better understanding of a particular topic. However, if differing answers are not properly addressed, they can also create confusion and undermine the reliability of scientific research. It is important for scientists to critically evaluate and communicate their findings in order to minimize the impact of differing answers.

5. Can differing answers in science ever be resolved?

In some cases, differing answers in science can be resolved through further research and collaboration. However, as scientific knowledge and technology continue to advance, new questions and challenges may arise, leading to ongoing differing answers. It is important for scientists to continue to investigate and critically evaluate their findings in order to reach a better understanding of the world around us.