Integrals of Trigonometric Functions

In summary, the conversation discusses three problems - finding the integral of cos(x)^6, x^3 * sqrt(x^2 - 1), and solving for y using separation of variables. The conversation also includes suggestions for solving each problem, such as using reduction formula for the first integral, setting u = x^2 for the second, and manipulating the equation for the third.
recon_ind

Homework Statement

I have three problems that I'm having a hard time with. I'd appreciate any help with
any of the three problems.

[tex]\int((cos(x))^6)dx[/tex]

AND

[tex]\int(x^3 * sqrt(x^2 - 1)[/tex]

AND

Solve for y (separation of variables):
dy/dx = ((2y + 3)^2)/((4x + 5)^2)

Homework Equations

Separation of variables for 3rd problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have work on scartch paper but I get stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first integral, use the reduction formula for cosine.

For the second, try u = x2

For the third, did you try getting everything with y on one side and everything with x on the other?

thank you. I am going to try this right now. for the third i got down to an integral that would need partial fraction decomposition but got stuck. :(

I finally got the first one. so just the 2nd and 3rd problems now.

Related to Integrals of Trigonometric Functions

What is an integral of a trigonometric function?

An integral of a trigonometric function is a mathematical operation that finds the area under the curve of a trigonometric function. It is the reverse process of differentiation and is used to solve problems involving motion, periodic phenomena, and other real-life situations.

What are the basic trigonometric functions?

The basic trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, tangent, cotangent, secant, and cosecant. These functions relate the angles of a right triangle to the lengths of its sides.

How do you integrate a trigonometric function?

To integrate a trigonometric function, you can use trigonometric identities, substitution, or integration by parts. It is important to understand the properties and rules of integration before attempting to integrate a trigonometric function.

What is the difference between indefinite and definite integrals of trigonometric functions?

An indefinite integral of a trigonometric function is a function that represents a family of solutions, while a definite integral is a specific numerical value that represents the area under the curve. Indefinite integrals do not have upper and lower limits, while definite integrals do.

What are some real-life applications of integrals of trigonometric functions?

Integrals of trigonometric functions are used in various fields, including physics, engineering, and finance. They are used to solve problems involving motion, sound and light waves, electrical circuits, and financial models. They also have applications in computer graphics, signal processing, and geophysics.