Integrating Tricky Semi-Infinite Integrals: A Complex Approach

• Thread starter ab959
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, Tom suggested that the limit of the b * integral may be zero, so he needed to show that this integral is finite.
ab959

Homework Statement

I am trying to integrate

[tex]\int^\infty_0 \frac{e^{-tp^2}}{{p^2+b^2}} cos(pu) dp[/tex].

Homework Equations

I know that

[tex]\int^\infty_0 \frac{e^{-tp^2}}{{p^2+b^2}} dp= \frac{\pi}{2b}e^{tb^2}erfc(\sqrt{a}x)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I rewrote the problem in terms of the complex exponential and reduced the integrand to a form similar to

[tex]\int^\infty_0 \frac{e^{-tp^2}}{{p^2+b^2}} cos(pu) dp= Re(\int^\infty_0 \frac{e^{-t(p-s)^2}}{{p^2+b^2}} dp)[/tex]

where s is complex but I was stuck here. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The integrand is an even function of p, so I would divide it by 2 and integrate over [itex](-\infty ,\infty )[/itex]. Then I would try to use the Residue Theorem. Are you familiar with that result?

Yes I am familiar with it however not in this form. Are you suggesting forming a curve on the complex plane which encloses the points p=+/-ib. The integral over this curve would equal 2*pi*i* Sum of residues?

Not quite. If the real axis is part of the contour, then you would close it with a semicircular arc in the upper half plane (or the lower half, your choice). In either case the contour only encloses one of the poles, not both.

Cool. Thanks for the help! It was a very nice step.

Here is the solution for anyone interested:

[tex]
\int^\infty_0 \frac{e^{-tp^2}}{{p^2+b^2}} cos(pu) dp = \frac{\pi e^{tb^2} cos(ibu)}{2|b|}}[/tex]

Last edited:
Hi Tom. As my b is a real number, for the case b=0 this doesn't work. I want to find out

the limit as b-> 0 of b * integral. I know that it is equal to zero but I am having proving this. All I really have to do is show that the integral with b=0 is finite.

Any suggestions?

How about setting b=0 in the original integral and calculating the residue of the pole of order 2 that results? You'll need a different contour of course.

I ended up just using L'Hopital's rule and it came out quite easily. Thanks Tom you were a lot of help! Very much appreciated.

Related to Integrating Tricky Semi-Infinite Integrals: A Complex Approach

1. What is a tricky semi-infinite integral?

A tricky semi-infinite integral is an integral that involves a limit of integration that extends to infinity on one side, while the other limit is a finite value. This type of integral usually requires special techniques and approaches to solve, making it challenging for many people.

2. How do I know if an integral is tricky semi-infinite?

An integral is considered tricky semi-infinite if it has a limit of integration that extends to infinity on one side and a finite value on the other side. This can be identified by looking at the limits of integration in the integral expression.

3. What are some common techniques for solving tricky semi-infinite integrals?

Some common techniques for solving tricky semi-infinite integrals include using trigonometric substitutions, integration by parts, and completing the square. It is also helpful to break the integral into smaller parts and simplify the expression before attempting to solve it.

4. Can I use numerical methods to solve tricky semi-infinite integrals?

Yes, numerical methods such as Simpson's rule or the trapezoidal rule can be used to approximate the value of a tricky semi-infinite integral. However, these methods may not always provide an exact solution and may require the use of a computer or calculator.

5. Are there any real-world applications of tricky semi-infinite integrals?

Tricky semi-infinite integrals are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to solve problems related to infinite or unbounded systems. For example, they can be used to calculate the electric field around an infinite line of charge or the gravitational potential of an infinite sheet of mass.