Integration by parts and simplifying

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to solve the integral of ln(x)/x^2 and the use of integration by parts. The final solution is found to be -lnx/x + 1/x + K.
trajan22
Hi,
I have been working on this problem for the longest time and have just run in circles with it. I am thinking the answer is obvious but for some reason I am missing it. I need to find [tex] \int \frac{ln(x)}{x^2} dx[/tex] I know that I need to use integration by parts and have tried a number of things, however the only way that the integral seems to be simplified is if I use this set up
u=ln(x) du=1/x
v=? dv=1/(x^2)
but from here I cannot integrate 1/x^2. Am i even on the right track with this one or is there an easier way? someone please help as this problem is truly annoying me.

Physics news on Phys.org
you're on the right track, but try thinking of 1/x^2 as polynomial, ie: x^(-2).
I'm sure you can integrate that.

oh yeah that's right...ok so if i integrate that then its simply -(1/x) correct?

trajan22 said:
oh yeah that's right...ok so if i integrate that then its simply -(1/x) correct?

thts correct

(if you are unsure try differentiating (-1/x))

oh yeah that's right...I always forget that its really easy to check these types of problems...thanks for all the help

I : lnx/x^2 dx
I: (-lnx/x) - I(1/x^2) dx
I: -lnx/x + 1/x + K

Related to Integration by parts and simplifying

1. What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a technique used in calculus to simplify the integration of a product of two functions. It is based on the product rule for differentiation and involves breaking a single integral into two parts that can be integrated separately.

2. When should integration by parts be used?

Integration by parts should be used when the integrand (the expression being integrated) is a product of two functions, and the integral cannot be easily solved using other methods such as substitution or partial fractions.

3. How do you use integration by parts?

To use integration by parts, you must first identify the two functions in the integrand and assign one as u and the other as dv. Then, you can use the formula ∫u*dv = u*v - ∫v*du to simplify the integral. It may require multiple iterations of this formula to completely solve the integral.

4. What is the purpose of simplifying integrals?

The purpose of simplifying integrals is to make them easier to solve and to obtain a final answer in a more simplified form. This can often involve using algebraic manipulations or techniques like integration by parts to break down the integral into simpler components.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using integration by parts?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using integration by parts include not properly identifying u and dv, using the formula incorrectly, and forgetting to include the constant of integration when integrating dv. It is also important to check the final answer to make sure it is correct and in the correct form.