Integration by Parts: Solve ∫cos(x)cos(kx)dx

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with solving an integral by parts in order to find ##a_k## for a Fourier series. They are stuck at a certain step and are discussing the use of trigonometric identities and integration by parts to solve it. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to continue using integration by parts to isolate the function f(x).

Homework Statement

Hello!

I am having some trouble solving this integral by parts. I hope someone can help me.

##\int \cos(x)cos(kx) dx##

It is need for a Fourier series

Homework Equations

I am using this definition:

##\int f(x)g(x) dx = f(x)G(x)-\int f'(x)G(x) dx##

since its an even function i need to find ##a_k## and ##a_0##, I've found ##a_0## no worries about that.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]

##\int f(x)g(x) dx = \frac{cos(x)sin(kx)}{k} - \int \frac{-sin(x)sin(kx)}{k}##

I can't remember/see the next rule of integration when having two sin functions. Or am i doing something wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Any particular knowledge about k you can share with us ?

Oh, and: use the template !

k is just an integer that's about it.

I'll remember that next time.

So what do you do when k = 1 ?
Next question: what do you do when k = 2 ?
And you can guess the third question, right ?

I need it for a Fourier series where the inteval is from [0, ##\pi## ]. f(x)=cos(x) so it is an even function which means i need to calculate ##a_0## and ##a_k##.

It is ##a_k## who i am trying to calculate right now by parts, but i am stuck at it.

Last edited:
Ah, so it concerns integrals with definite limits. Also something that would have been clearly described under 1.
And you would have provided some relevant equations under 2. e.g. ##\sin k\pi=0##, etc.

Never too late to catch up!

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Have to go now, perhaps others can take over...

yeah sorry!

Actually that is what confuses me. if ##\sink\pi=0## then there is only ##\frac{cos(x)sin(kx)}{k}## left? Does that mean that this is my ##a_k##??

Last edited:
so when taking the interval into account i get the result ##a_k=\frac{-sin(k\pi)}{k}## which is wroooong

Last edited:
8700 said:

[/B]

##\int f(x)g(x) dx = \frac{cos(x)sin(kx)}{k} - \int \frac{-sin(x)sin(kx)}{k}##

I can't remember/see the next rule of integration when having two sin functions. Or am i doing something wrong?

The new integral looks very much like the initial one, only using sin() rather than cos(). Your instinct should be to apply Integration by Parts again, leading to something of the form:

f(x) = g(x) - c*f(x)

from which you can isolate f(x).

What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a method used in calculus to evaluate integrals of products of functions. It is based on the product rule in differentiation and helps to simplify complex integrals.

Why is integration by parts useful?

Integration by parts allows us to break down a complex integral into simpler integrals that are easier to solve. It is particularly useful when faced with integrals involving products of functions that cannot be easily integrated by substitution or other methods.

Can integration by parts be used on all integrals?

No, integration by parts can only be used on integrals that follow a specific form, namely the product of two functions. It cannot be used on other types of integrals such as trigonometric, logarithmic, or exponential functions.

How do you solve the integral ∫cos(x)cos(kx)dx using integration by parts?

To solve this integral, we first use the formula ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u = cos(x) and dv = cos(kx)dx. We then integrate dv to get v = sin(kx)/k, and differentiate u to get du = -sin(x)dx. Plugging these values into the formula, we get the final result of ∫cos(x)cos(kx)dx = (sin(kx)/k)cos(x) + (1/k)∫sin(kx)sin(x)dx.

Are there any other methods for solving this integral?

Yes, there are other methods such as using trigonometric identities or trigonometric substitution. However, integration by parts is the most straightforward and efficient method for solving this particular integral.