Integration involving a square root function.

In summary, the conversation is about integrating sqrt(1/4 + t^2 + t^4) from -1 to 1. The speaker is unsure of how to approach the problem, but eventually realizes that 4t^4+4t^2+1 can be factored into the square of 2t^2+1. This allows them to simplify the integral to |2t^2+1|/2, which ultimately eliminates the absolute value since 2t^2+1 is always positive. The conversation ends with the speaker gaining a better understanding of the problem with the help of Wolfram.
NewtonianAlch

Homework Statement

Integrate:

sqrt(1/4 + t^2 + t^4)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really not sure on how to go about integrating this, it's actually integrate from -1 to 1, the solutions manual has a method I'm not familiar with. I thought of factorising it first, although doing that hasn't made it any easier.

Physics news on Phys.org
I stared at it blankly for a little bit. But then I asked wolfram for the steps and said aha, why didn't I see that. If you pull the 1/4 out, you should recognize that 4t^4+4t^2+1 is the square of 2t^2+1. So you are integrating |2t^2+1|/2. But the absolute value goes away since 2t^2+1 is never negative.

I saw that in Wolfram too, although I didn't quite understand what was happening there.

So are you saying that pulling out the 1/4 from a square root doubles it when you pull it out? Or any other number for that matter.

Hmm, I think I see what you mean now, since the root of 1/4 is 0.5 you can take that out.

Interesting, doubt I'd have figured out all that myself without some help, thanks.

1. What is the general method for integrating a square root function?

The general method for integrating a square root function is to use the substitution method. This involves finding a suitable substitution that will simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.

2. Can you provide an example of integrating a square root function using the substitution method?

Yes, for example, let's say we want to integrate ∫√(x+1)dx. We can make the substitution u = x+1, which will simplify the integral to ∫√udu. We can then use the power rule to integrate this, giving us (2/3)u^(3/2) + C. Finally, we substitute back in u = x+1 to get the final answer of (2/3)(x+1)^(3/2) + C.

3. Are there any other methods for integrating square root functions?

Yes, there are a few other methods that can be used, such as integration by parts or using trigonometric substitutions. However, the substitution method is often the most straightforward and efficient for integrating square root functions.

4. Can square root functions be integrated without using substitution?

Yes, in some cases, if the square root function is part of a larger function, it may be possible to use other integration techniques such as partial fractions or trigonometric identities. However, these methods can be more complicated and may not always be applicable.

5. Is there a specific range of values for which square root functions can be integrated?

No, square root functions can be integrated for any range of values. However, the resulting integral may not always have a closed form solution and may require the use of numerical methods.