Integration involving complex numbers

In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to a definite integral with complex constants using integration by parts. The resulting solution includes a term with an infinite limit, which prompts the question of how to deal with infinity in this context. Suggestions are given, including using the gamma function and applying l'Hopital's rule. Ultimately, the use of l'Hopital's rule is justified and the conversation concludes with the agreement that the solution is zero.
Useful nucleus

Homework Statement

[tex]\int x* exp(-\alpha x -ikx)dx[/tex]

the integration is definite with limits (x: 0---->inf)
alpha , k are real constants

2. The attempt at a solution

I used integration by parts and arrived at the result

[tex]\frac{xexp(-\alpha x-ikx)}{\alpha+ik}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{exp(-\alpha x-ikx)}{(\alpha+ik)^{2}}[/tex]

now when i come to substitute by the integration limits comes the problem. How to deal with inf. ??
I know that the complex exponential functions are periodic , so there limit when x-->inf will never have certain value.

Any suggetions will be highly appreicated.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know something about the gamma function, you could substitute (a+ik)x=t which would give you [tex]\frac{2!}{(a+ik)^2}[/tex] as the solution.

Useful nucleus said:

Homework Statement

[tex]\int x* exp(-\alpha x -ikx)dx[/tex]

the integration is definite with limits (x: 0---->inf)
alpha , k are real constants2. The attempt at a solution

I used integration by parts and arrived at the result

[tex]\frac{xexp(-\alpha x-ikx)}{\alpha+ik}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{exp(-\alpha x-ikx)}{(\alpha+ik)^{2}}[/tex]

now when i come to substitute by the integration limits comes the problem. How to deal with inf. ??
I know that the complex exponential functions are periodic , so there limit when x-->inf will never have certain value.

Any suggetions will be highly appreicated.

That's exp(-ax)*(cos(-kx)+i*sin(-kx)). If you assume (and you had better) that a>0 and k is real, then the exponential goes to zero at inf so the oscillatory part doesn't matter. You can also use l'Hopital's rule to find the limit of x*exp(-ax) as x->inf.

chaoseverlasting,

If you know something about the gamma function, you could substitute (a+ik)x=t which would give you as the solution

I know about Gamma function , but the reason that made me discard it is ,when you change the integration limits after choosing the substitution (a+ik)x=t , I have the following problem:
x goes to inf, then t goes to what?? (inf. +i inf. )!

Dick,

That's exp(-ax)*(cos(-kx)+i*sin(-kx)). If you assume (and you had better) that a>0 and k is real, then the exponential goes to zero at inf so the oscillatory part doesn't matter. You can also use l'Hopital's rule to find the limit of x*exp(-ax) as x->inf.

I believe your argument regarding the second term, which is exp(-ax) will go to zero when x goes to inf regardless of the behavior of the oscillatory part.
However, I'm still not convinced of using L'Hopital rule for the first term. Would you mind elaborating on that?

Anyways thank you chaoseverlasting and Dick for your help!

Sure. x*exp(-ax) is an infinity*0 form. Change it into x/exp(ax). Now it's infinity/infinity and you can apply l'Hopital. What do you get?

Lim[tex]_{x \rightarrow \infty}[/tex] [tex]\frac{x}{exp(\alpha x) * exp( ikx)}[/tex]

At this point , by direct substituton we get

[tex]\frac{\infty}{\infty * exp( ik \infty) }[/tex]

So, is it still possible to use L'Hopital ,taking into account the complex part.Why?

IF L'Hopital is possible here , I will end up with zero. But my question is why it was possible to use L'Hopital although we have that complex part.

Just apply l'Hopital to x*exp(-ax). If that goes to zero, then x*exp(-ax)*exp(ikx) also goes to zero, right?

Yep. That is convencing , it is zero.

Thank you for help!

1. What is integration involving complex numbers?

Integration involving complex numbers is the process of finding the integral of a function that contains complex numbers as variables or coefficients. It is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and behavior of complex numbers in integration.

2. Why is integration involving complex numbers important?

Integration involving complex numbers is important in various fields, especially in physics and engineering. It allows us to solve problems involving complex variables and to analyze the behavior of complex systems. It also has applications in signal processing, control theory, and quantum mechanics.

3. How do you integrate a function with complex numbers?

To integrate a function with complex numbers, we use the same techniques as we do for real numbers. However, we need to be careful with the algebraic manipulation of complex numbers and follow the rules of complex arithmetic. We can also use the Cauchy-Riemann equations to simplify the integration of functions with complex variables.

4. What are some common integration techniques for complex numbers?

Some common integration techniques for complex numbers include substitution, integration by parts, partial fractions, and contour integration. These techniques are similar to those used for real numbers, but we need to apply them carefully to complex functions to avoid errors.

5. Are there any special cases in integration involving complex numbers?

Yes, there are some special cases in integration involving complex numbers. For example, when integrating a complex function over a closed contour, the value of the integral depends on the behavior of the function inside the contour. Another special case is when integrating a function with a branch cut, where we need to consider the branch of the function and the path of the integration carefully.