Integration of composite derivative of function

In summary, the conversation is discussing the concept of orthogonal trajectories, or a family of curves that are always perpendicular to another given family of curves. The specific example used is y= x^2+ c, which has an orthogonal trajectory of y'= -1/(2x) and an integral of -(1/2)ln(x)+ C. However, there is no general method for finding orthogonal trajectories, as it depends on the specific function. The conversation also touches on the concept of constants and how they relate to the families of curves.
Bonaparte

Homework Statement

While I was in school I thought to see what a function whose derivative is always perpendicular to another functions derivative would look like, so for example for X^2 we have -ln(x)/2.

Homework Equations

Well all those integration tables I guess

The Attempt at a Solution

Obviously their product is -1, so if were looking for g(x),
g(x) = ∫(-1/f'(x))dx
However, I don't seem to be able to integrate this.
I need to have a ln(f'(x)), who's integral is f''(x)/f'(x), but dividing by f''(x) or try to subtract it just makes things much tougher. This isn't homework, but it would be very nice if I was to be helped. Please don't give solution, just clue.

Thanks, Bonaparte

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like you are looking for "orthogonal trajectories", a family of curves that are always perpendicular to another, given, family of curves.

Yes, to find the orthogonal trajectories of [itex]y= x^2+ c[/itex], where c is a constant, we differentiate to get [itex]y'= 2x[/itex] and the constant has disappeared. Now, any curve perpendicular to that has [itex]y'= -1/(2x)[/itex] and the integral of that is -(1/2)ln(x)+ C.

On the other hand, if the first family were given by [itex]y= cx^2[/itex], so that the constant is multiplied rather than added, [itex]y'= 2cx[/itex] and to get rid of the constant we have to write [itex]y'/y= 2cx/x^2= 2/x[/itex] so that [itex]y'= 2/(xy)[/itex]. Now to find the orthogonal trajectories, we look at [itex]y'= -2/(xy)[/itex] so that [itex]yy'= -2/x[/itex] or [itex]ydy= (-2/x)dx[/itex] and, integrating [itex](1/2)y^2= -2 ln(x)+ C[/itex].

But there is no general way to solve that problem for all x. It depends to much upon the specific f. "Orthogonal trajectories" is typically a subject for a "Differential Equations" course.

Could you explain how you got from 2cx/x^2 = 2/x? and then when you had y'/y=2/x, and multiplied both sides by y, how did you get 2/xy? should it not be 2y/x?
I actually thought you would have 2cx*g'x = -1, g'x=-1/2cx
gx = (-1/(2c))*ln(x)+C?
Thanks, Bonaparte

Bonaparte said:
Could you explain how you got from 2cx/x^2 = 2/x? and then when you had y'/y=2/x, and multiplied both sides by y, how did you get 2/xy? should it not be 2y/x?
HofI meant to write [itex]y'/y= 2cx/(cx^2)= 2/x[/itex], so as you say, [itex]y' = 2y/x[/itex]. For the orthogonals I get [itex]y' = -x/(2y)[/itex], leading to ellipses.

Why is it not possible to deriviate 2cx and relate to c as if it is a constant? So you have y=2cx^2
y'=(2cx), g'=-1/(2xc), so g= ln((2xc)/-2c'+C, wouldn't this be the answer?

Thanks, you are all great :)
Bonaparte

Bonaparte said:
Why is it not possible to deriviate 2cx and relate to c as if it is a constant?
It is only constant in regard to one of the original family of curves. A curve in the orthogonal family runs across these, so the set of intersections treats this as a parameter. Eliminating the constant, as HofI did, gets around this problem by extracting a general truth about the family as a whole.

What is the definition of integration of composite derivative of function?

Integration of composite derivative of function is a process that involves finding the antiderivative of a composite function. It is the reverse process of differentiation, where the original function is found from its derivative.

Why is integration of composite derivative of function important?

Integration of composite derivative of function is an important tool in mathematical analysis and is used in many real-world applications. It allows us to find the original function from its derivative, which is useful in solving problems related to rates of change and optimization.

What are the steps involved in integration of composite derivative of function?

The steps for integration of composite derivative of function are similar to those for regular integration. The first step is to use the chain rule to find the derivative of the composite function. Then, we use the reverse chain rule to find the original function. Lastly, we add a constant of integration to account for all possible solutions.

Can integration of composite derivative of function be applied to any composite function?

Yes, integration of composite derivative of function can be applied to any composite function. However, the process may be more complex for certain functions, such as trigonometric or logarithmic functions, and may require using different integration techniques.

Are there any shortcuts or tricks for integration of composite derivative of function?

There are no specific shortcuts or tricks for integration of composite derivative of function. However, having a good understanding of the chain rule and various integration techniques can make the process easier and more efficient. Practice and familiarity with different types of functions can also help in solving integration problems more quickly.