Integrating Partial Fractions: Evaluating Difficult Integral

• Thread starter cmantzioros
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation discusses the evaluation of an integral using partial fraction decomposition. The resulting integral is -2ln((e^x)+1) - 10ln((e^x)+5), but it is determined that this is not the correct answer. Differentiation is used to verify the solution, and it is discovered that another partial fraction is needed to solve the integral correctly.
cmantzioros
The question is to evaluate the integral in the attachment. My idea was to use partial fraction decomposition and so my new integral looked like:

A/((e^x)+1) + B/((e^x)+5) where I got A=-2 and B=-10

When I integrate this, I get:

-2ln((e^x)+1) - 10ln((e^x)+5)

However, this is not the answer.

Attachments

• integral.png
    integral.png
    1 KB · Views: 414
Physics news on Phys.org
I can tell you right away that the integral of 1/(e^x+1) is not ln(e^x+1). Differentiate the latter (remembering the chain rule) to see why not. To do this correctly substitute u=(e^x+1).

Last edited:
I cannot see the integral till the attatchment it is approved but how did you manage to integrate something of the form

[tex]\frac{A}{e^x+a}[/tex] to

[tex]A\ln{(e^x+a)}[/tex]

?

One way to check if your integration is done correctly is to differentiate the function you arrived at and see if it matches the earlier function.

For ∫-2/((e^x)+1) dx, I choose u=(e^x)+1 so du=(e^x) dx so I get:

-2 ∫ du / u(e^x) where (e^x)= u-1 therefore -2 ∫ du / (u^2)-u

Is this correct?

Yes. So you see you need another partial fractions thing to solve that. Because you WOULDN'T just write log(u^2-u), would you?

No I would not!

Got it... thanks a lot!

Related to Integrating Partial Fractions: Evaluating Difficult Integral

1. What is the purpose of integrating partial fractions?

The purpose of integrating partial fractions is to simplify and solve difficult integrals that cannot be evaluated using traditional integration methods. By breaking down the integrand into smaller fractions, it becomes easier to integrate and solve the integral.

2. How do you identify when partial fractions should be used?

You should use partial fractions when the integrand contains a rational expression with a polynomial in the numerator and denominator, and the degree of the polynomial in the numerator is less than the degree of the polynomial in the denominator.

3. What are the steps for integrating partial fractions?

The steps for integrating partial fractions are:

1. Factor the denominator of the rational expression.
  2. Write the rational expression in the form of partial fractions, with a constant in the numerator for each factor of the denominator.
  3. Determine the coefficients of the partial fractions by equating the original rational expression to the partial fraction form.
  4. Integrate each partial fraction using traditional integration techniques.
  5. Combine the integrated partial fractions and simplify the result.

4. Can you provide an example of integrating partial fractions?

Yes, an example of integrating partial fractions is solving the integral of (x^2 + 2x + 3) / (x^3 + 4x^2 + 5x + 2). The steps for solving this integral would be:

1. Factor the denominator: (x+1)(x+1)(x+2).
  2. Write the rational expression in partial fraction form: A/(x+1) + B/(x+1)^2 + C/(x+2).
  3. Determine the coefficients A, B, and C by equating the original rational expression to the partial fraction form: A(x+1)^2 + B(x+1) + C(x+2) = x^2 + 2x + 3.
  4. Integrate each partial fraction: Aln(x+1) - B/(x+1) + Cln(x+2).
  5. Combine the integrated partial fractions and simplify: Aln(x+1) + Cln(x+2) - (B/A)ln(x+1) + C/A.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when integrating partial fractions?

Some common mistakes to avoid when integrating partial fractions include:

• Forgetting to factor the denominator of the rational expression.
  • Assuming the coefficients of the partial fractions without properly equating the rational expression to the partial fraction form.
  • Not accounting for all possible values of x when integrating each partial fraction.
  • Forgetting to simplify the final result.