Proving Integration: Solving the Cosine and Sine Proofs for High School Students

In summary, the author is trying to find a way to integrate cos(x) and sin(x) using identities from cos(x) - sin(x) and cos(x) + sin(x). He is getting stuck and is asking for help.
synkk
I'm almost out of high school and have been trying to do some "harder" proofs, anyone, I'm not quite sure on how to proceed on this:

prove that for all k:

[tex] \displaystyle \int_0^{2\pi} (cos^{2k}x - sin^{2k} x) \ dx = 0 [/tex]

If anyone could start me off as I'll I have in my head is "try to express it into something you can integrate", but having no luck.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's not clear what k is limited to. Is k all integers, all reals, etc? If k is an integer, will its range include negative values? What about k = 0?

SteamKing said:
It's not clear what k is limited to. Is k all integers, all reals, etc? If k is an integer, will its range include negative values? What about k = 0?

The parts before this question asked me to integrate cos^6(x) and sin^6x using identities from cos^6(x) - sin^6(x) and cos^6x + sin^6x which I done successfully. At the end of the question it says: "You might like to consider how you would prove that [tex] \displaystyle \int_0^{2\pi} (cos^{2k}x - sin^{2k} x) \ dx = 0 [/tex] for all k, without having to derive a new identity for each value of k.

hint: use symmetry :wink:

tiny-tim said:
hint: use symmetry :wink:

Could you expand on that? I tried rewriting cos in terms of sin, but still pretty stuck

thanks

cos2k(π/2 - x) - sin2k(π/2 - x) = … ? :wink:

tiny-tim said:
cos2k(π/2 - x) - sin2k(π/2 - x) = … ? :wink:

= [itex] sin^{2k}x - cos^{2k}x = -(cos^{2k}x - sin^{2k} x) [/itex]

I feel so dumb for not getting this :(

I tried for around 15 minutes playing around with what you gave me to show it's 0 but to no avail... I'll try again tomorrow and post if I've made progress. Thanks for your patience.

EDIT: Ignore my previous post, I'd made an error.

Last edited:
synkk said:
Could you expand on that? I tried rewriting cos in terms of sin, but still pretty stuck

thanks

Look at the graphs of sin(x) and cos(x). Can you get one of the graphs by shifting the other one to the right or the left?

π
Ray Vickson said:
Look at the graphs of sin(x) and cos(x). Can you get one of the graphs by shifting the other one to the right or the left?

yes cos(x) = sin(x + π/2)
also sin(x) = cos(x - π/2)

I can see why the integral is 0, by drawing both of the graphs and shading in the required area, but I'm having real trouble formalising a proof to actually put onto paper :\

synkk said:
I can see why the integral is 0, by drawing both of the graphs and shading in the required area, but I'm having real trouble formalising a proof to actually put onto paper :\

try substituting y = π - x, or y = π/2 - x (and dy = -dx), and seeing what it does to the integral of one of your shaded parts :smile:

Related to Proving Integration: Solving the Cosine and Sine Proofs for High School Students

1. What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical concept that involves finding the area under a curve. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to solve a variety of problems in mathematics and science.

2. Why is it important to learn about integration in high school?

Integration is an essential skill for students pursuing careers in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. It also helps students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are applicable in many areas of life.

3. What are cosine and sine proofs?

Cosine and sine proofs are mathematical techniques used to solve integration problems involving trigonometric functions. They involve using various identities and formulas to simplify and manipulate the expression until it can be integrated.

4. Are there any tips for solving cosine and sine proofs?

Yes, some tips for solving cosine and sine proofs include understanding the basic trigonometric identities, practicing with different examples, and breaking down the problem into smaller parts. It is also helpful to draw diagrams and use substitution to simplify the expression.

5. What are some real-world applications of integration and cosine and sine proofs?

Integration and cosine and sine proofs are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, they can be used to calculate the displacement of an object, determine the area under a velocity-time graph, or find the optimal solution to a production problem in economics.