1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration Question

1. Mar 31, 2005 #1
    I am having a little trouble on this problem for calculus..

Curve has equation y = x³ - 6x² + 9x + 16

I am asked to find [tex]\int_{-1}^{2} (x^3 - 6x^2 + 9x + 16) dx[/tex]
    I get the answer to be -3/4 but the book gives the answer as 47.25. I do not know how the book got this. The way I found it was
    [tex][\frac{x^4}{4} - \frac{6x^3}{3} + \frac{9x^2}{2}]_{-1}^{2}[/tex] and then putting x=2 and solving it then putting x=-1 and solving it then subtract the answer from x=-1 from x=2 so i found [tex](4-16+18)-(\frac{1}{4}--2+\frac{9}{2}) = \frac{-3}{4}[/tex]

It is important that I get this answer correct because It is needed for the next question of finding the area under a curve, could it just be that the book has an incorrect answer as it has known to be in the past or am i going about this completely the wrong way.
    Thanks for any help you guys can provide

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2005 #2
    Your primitive function is wrong. You need an extra term of 16x in there.

4. Mar 31, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The integral of any constant A is

[tex] \int A \ dx = Ax+\mathcal{C} [/itex]

,where [itex] \mathcal{C} [/itex] is an integration constant...

Daniel.

5. Mar 31, 2005 #4
    Thanks for the help I see where I was going wrong there, I was a little confused about the constant thing thanks for clearing it up

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?