Integration - two sin functions

In summary, the conversation was about a math problem involving integration and trigonometric identities. The person was having trouble evaluating an integral and was seeking help in understanding the process. Through the conversation, they were able to solve the problem by using the product to sum formula and correctly substituting and applying limits to the integral.
exidez

Homework Statement

I have the answer I just don't know how he got it! I want to know how he got from the second line to the third line in the image below.

Homework Equations

eq0010MP.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

I have used integration by part and the u substitution method.

When substituting with u i am still left with the other terms in the other sine function.
When integrating by parts, it just doesn't simplify..

Is there another method i don't know about? There doesn't seem to be any trig identities either.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi & welcome to PF!

Use the product to sum formulae:

img1.gif

Regards.

ok, that seems to be the way to go (i must remember these)
but i am still having problems evaluating it...

[tex]\frac{1}{2a^2}[/tex][tex]\int cos(at-2a\tau) d\tau - \int cos(at) d\tau[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2a^2}[\frac{sin(at-2a\tau)}{-2a}][/tex]from t to 0 [tex]- [cos(at)\tau] [/tex] from t to 0

im going to stop there because something is wrong already...

Are a and t constants?

Obviously [itex]\int cos(x)dx = sin(x)[/itex].

Regards.

Last edited:
[tex]\sin(at-a\tau)\sin(a\tau) = ?[/tex]

[tex]sin(at-a\tau)sin(a\tau) = \frac{1}{2}(cos(at-a\tau-a\tau) - cos(at-a\tau+a\tau)) = \frac{1}{2}(cos(at-2a\tau) - cos(at))[/tex]
subbing this into the integral and taking the half outside:

[tex]\frac{1}{2a^2}( \int cos(at-2a\tau) d\tau - \int cos(at) d\tau )[/tex]

i treated cos(at) as a constant because we are integrating with respect to tau, not t...
or is this where i am going wrong?

Last edited:
exidez said:
[tex]sin(at-a\tau)sin(a\tau) = \frac{1}{2}(cos(at-a\tau-a\tau) - cos(at-a\tau+a\tau)) = \frac{1}{2}(cos(at-2a\tau) - cos(at))[/tex]
subbing this into the integral and taking the half outside:

[tex]\frac{1}{2a^2}( \int cos(at-2a\tau) d\tau - \int cos(at) d\tau )[/tex]

i treated cos(at) as a constant because we are integrating with respect to tau, not t...
or is this where i am going wrong?

Actually, you forgot the limits. So your integral would be:

[tex]\frac{1}{2a^2}( \int_{0}^{t} cos(at-2a\tau) d\tau - \int_{0}^{t} cos(at) d\tau)[/tex]

Now make a substitution,

- for the first integral [itex]w=at-2a\tau[/itex]

- for the second integral treat cos(at) as constant, so that:

[tex]\frac{1}{2a^2}( \int_{0}^{t} cos(at-2a\tau) d\tau - cos(at)\int_{0}^{t} d\tau)[/tex]

Now find dw but do not forget the limits of the integral. You need to substitute 0, t for tau, in w.

Regards.

Ok here's another attempt

[tex]\frac{1}{2a^2}( \int_{0}^{t} cos(at-2a\tau) d\tau - cos(at)\int_{0}^{t} d\tau) [/tex]

let [tex]u = at-2a\tau[/tex]
[tex]\frac{du}{d\tau} = -2a[/tex]
[tex]\frac{du}{-2a} = d\tau[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2a^2}( \int_{0}^{t} cos(u) \frac{du}{-2a} - cos(at)\int_{0}^{t} d\tau) [/tex][tex]\frac{1}{2a^2}(\frac{1}{-2a} \int_{0}^{t} cos(u) du - cos(at)\int_{0}^{t} d\tau) [/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2a^2}(\frac{1}{-2a} \int_{0}^{t} cos(u) du - cos(at)(t-0)) [/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2a^2}(\frac{1}{-2a} \int_{0}^{t} cos(u) du - tcos(at)) [/tex]

substituting u back in and evaluating

[tex]\frac{1}{2a^2}(\frac{1}{-2a} (sin(at-2at) - sin(at)) - tcos(at)) [/tex][tex]\frac{1}{2a^2}(\frac{sin(at-2at)}{-2a} - \frac{sin(at)}{-2a} - tcos(at)) [/tex][tex]\frac{1}{2a^3}(\frac{sin(at-2at)}{-2} - \frac{sin(at)}{-2} - atcos(at)) [/tex]

[tex]-\frac{1}{4a^3}(sin(at-2at) - sin(at)} + 2atcos(at)) [/tex]im stuck again, somehow i don't think that 4 is suppose to be in front there and the coefficient of 2 in front of the cos shouldn't be there either... is there another trig identity i should know?

Last edited:
As I said, again you missed the limit.

[tex]\frac{1}{2a^2}( \int_{0}^{t} cos(at-2a\tau) d\tau - cos(at)\int_{0}^{t} d\tau) [/tex]

let [tex]u = at-2a\tau[/tex]
[tex]\frac{du}{d\tau} = -2a[/tex]
[tex]\frac{du}{-2a} = d\tau[/tex]

Now, for [itex]\tau=0[/itex], u=at and for [itex]\tau=t[/itex], u = at-2at=-at

So your integral should look like: [tex]
\frac{1}{2a^2}(\frac{1}{-2a} \int_{at}^{-at} cos(u) du - cos(at)\int_{0}^{t} d\tau)
[/tex]

Be careful with those limits!

Regards.

Last edited:
Oh, i now realize what you ment!
i always forget about those when i substitute u!
thanks will try again

That help! Thankyou! You don't know how long i have been trying to figure this out.

you posted the limits the wrong way round, but you probably mixed them up when you typed it into the brackets {}{}..

[tex]\frac{1}{2a^2}(\frac{1}{-2a} \int_{at}^{-at} cos(u) du - cos(at)\int_{0}^{t} d\tau) [/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2a^2}(\frac{1}{-2a} \int_{at}^{-at} cos(u) du - cos(at)(t-0)) [/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2a^2}(\frac{1}{-2a} \int_{at}^{-at} cos(u) du - tcos(at)) [/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2a^2}(\frac{1}{-2a} (sin(-at) - sin(at)) - tcos(at)) [/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2a^2}(\frac{1}{-2a} (- sin(at) - sin(at)) - tcos(at)) [/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2a^2}(\frac{1}{a} (sin(at) - tcos(at)) [/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2a^3}(sin(at) - atcos(at) [/tex]

Thanks again. I can now sleep knowing how he does it now! ;)

Yep, you did it right. :smile:

Regards.

Related to Integration - two sin functions

What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical process that involves finding the area under a curve in a given interval. It is the inverse of differentiation and is used to solve a variety of real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What are the two sin functions?

The two sin functions commonly referred to in integration are the sine function (sinx) and the cosine function (cosx). These functions are used to describe the relationship between the sides of a right triangle and are fundamental in trigonometry.

How do you integrate two sin functions?

To integrate two sin functions, you first need to use trigonometric identities to simplify the expression. Then, you can use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitution to find the antiderivative of the function. Finally, you can use the fundamental theorem of calculus to evaluate the integral and find the solution.

What are the applications of integrating two sin functions?

Integrating two sin functions has various real-world applications, such as finding the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of a moving object, determining the area under a curve in physics and engineering problems, and analyzing the behavior of alternating currents in electrical circuits.

What are some common mistakes when integrating two sin functions?

Some common mistakes when integrating two sin functions include forgetting to apply trigonometric identities, using the wrong integration technique, and making errors in the calculation. It is essential to double-check your work and be familiar with the properties of trigonometric functions to avoid these mistakes.