Integration using trig substitution

In summary: You're absolutely right, the sec(y) tan(y) = 1/(cos (y)) sin(y)/cos(y). And the cos^4(y) I put under the square root. Then, dx = d(4/(3 cos(y))) = 4/3 d(1/(cos(y)) = - 4/3 1/cos^2(y) d(cos(y)) = 4/3 1/cos^2(y) sin(y) dy. Note that two minus signs have cancelled.
howsockgothap

Homework Statement

Integrate (9x2-16)1/2/x4

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I set 3x=4secy, 3dx=4secytany and (9x2-16)1/2=2tany.

I then plugged that all into my integral and ended up with2tany*4secytany/(4/3secy)4 dy...
(81/32) tan2y/sec3y dy...

I solved for this by switching tan and sec to cos and sin, so (81/32) cos3y*sin2y/cos2y... and integrated that to get (81/32)sin3/3+c... when it's all worked out I had 32/x3

I can't figure out where I went wrong but I'm certain that I haven't got the right answer. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't like those sec(x) and cosec(x) functions, I prefer 1/cos(x) and 1/sin(x). But let's get sorted you out.

You have [tex]\int \sqrt{9 x^2 - 16} x^{-4} \mathrm{d} x[/tex]. You substitute [tex] x = 4/(3 \cos(y))[/tex], so your integral gives [tex]\int \sqrt{16/(\cos^2(y)) - 16} \,\cdot 81 \cos^4(y)/256 \,\cdot 4/3\,\cdot 1/(\cos^2(y)) \sin(y) \mathrm{d} y = 4\cdot 81\cdot 4/3/256 \int \sqrt{1-\cos^2(y)} 1/(\cos^2(y)) \sin(y) \mathrm{d} y = 27/16 \int \sin^2(y)/(\cos^2(y)) \mathrm{d} y[/tex]. Seems you are already wrong here, if I haven't made a mistake, please double check. Of course, then you need
[tex]\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} x} \tan(x) = 1 + \tan^2(x)[/tex], but I think you can figure it out for yourself from here :)

Not quite sure why you're plugging in 1/cos2ysiny for secytany... shouldn't it simply be 1/cosysiny? I also don't see why you've plugged in (4/3cos2y)*siny. It's supposed to be the dx I realize but the derivative of 4/(3cosy) isn't what you've plugged in, at least as far as I can see. That might be just that I'm not getting it though.

There is one tiny algebra mistake though, you set cos4y/cos2y=1/cos2y, should be cos2y which would give an end result very similar to what I had sin2ycos2y rather than sin2ycosy

I suspect your answer is correct when that little algebra problem is fixed, but I don't understand quite how you got it.

Nevermind, figured it out. Thanks.

Oh, but your sec(y) tan(y) = 1/(cos (y)) sin(y)/cos(y) = sin(y)/cos^2(y), isn't it? And the cos^4(y) I put under the square root. Then, dx = d(4/(3 cos(y))) = 4/3 d(1/(cos(y)) = - 4/3 1/cos^2(y) d(cos(y)) = 4/3 1/cos^2(y) sin(y) dy. Note that two minus signs have cancelled.

1. What is trig substitution and when is it used in integration?

Trig substitution is a technique used in integration to solve integrals that involve trigonometric functions. This method is typically used when the integral contains the square root of a quadratic expression or a term involving the sum or difference of squares.

2. How do you choose the appropriate trigonometric substitution for a given integral?

The choice of trigonometric substitution depends on the form of the integral. For integrals containing √(a^2 - x^2), use x = a sin θ. For integrals containing √(x^2 ± a^2), use x = a tan θ or x = a sec θ. For integrals containing √(x^2 - a^2), use x = a sec θ or x = a cot θ.

3. Can you provide an example of solving an integral using trig substitution?

Sure! Let's take the integral ∫(x^2/√(4-x^2))dx. We can use the substitution x = 2 sin θ to solve this integral. After making the substitution and simplifying, the integral becomes ∫(4sin^2 θ/2cos θ)dθ. Using the trig identity sin^2 θ = (1-cos 2θ)/2, the integral can be rewritten as ∫(2-2cos 2θ)dθ. This can be easily integrated to get the final answer of θ - sin 2θ + C. Don't forget to substitute back for x to get the final answer.

4. Are there any special cases when using trig substitution?

Yes, there are a few special cases to keep in mind when using trig substitution. For integrals containing √(a^2 - x^2), the interval of integration should be restricted to -a ≤ x ≤ a. For integrals containing √(x^2 + a^2), you may need to use a different trigonometric substitution, such as x = a sec θ, to make the integral more manageable.

5. How do I know if I've correctly applied trig substitution to an integral?

You can check your work by differentiating the final answer and confirming that it matches the integrand. Additionally, you can also use a graphing calculator to graph both the original function and the integral, and see if they match. If they do, then you have correctly applied trig substitution.