How Is the Force of Sunlight Calculated on a Building's Roof?

• Thread starter TLeo198
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Intensity
In summary, the question asks for the average force exerted by the Sun's radiation on a flat, black roof with an area of 675 m^2. The intensity of the radiation is 1.0 kW/m^2 and the time it takes for light to reach Earth from the Sun is 500 seconds. Using the equations P = F x d and P = A x u x c, the average force is calculated to be approximately 4.5 x 10^-6 Newtons, but this does not match the answer in the book. Suggestions for finding the correct answer include finding the total number of photons and their momentum.
TLeo198

Homework Statement

After filtering through the atmosphere, the Sun's radiation illuminates Earth's surface with an average intensity of 1.0 kW/m^2. Assuming this radiation strikes the 15-m x 45-m black, flat roof of a building at normal incidence, calculate the average force the radiation exerts on the roof.

Homework Equations

Dunno if this is all I need, but;
(1)I-average = u-average (energy density) x c (speed of light) = P-average (power) / A (area)
(2)P-average = F-average (force) x d (distance), where d = c (speed of light) x t (time), where time is 500 seconds, since that's how long it takes for light to reach the Earth from the sun.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since it's asking for average force, I remembered that P = Fxd. I knew I could find P-average by setting the intensity equal to P/A, in which A = 15m x 45m = 675 m^2, therefore getting a P-average of 675,000 Watts. I then went to the equation P = F x d, found d to be (c)(t) = (3 x 10^8)(500s) = 1.5 x 10^11 meters. Plugging that in, I calculated the average force to be about 4.5 x 10^-6 Newtons, but that answer does not coincide with the correct answer in the back of the book. Any comments? Any help is greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
One step at a time.
Find the area of the roof and from the intensity the total number of watts hititng the roof.
Then use the wavelength of peak emmision form the sun (or the middle of the visible) to work out how many photons this is. Note that since you are given watts this is the energy per second, so you can get photons/second.

Work out the momentum of a single photon of this wavelength and so the total momentum/second hitting the roof.

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your attempt at solving this problem. Your approach is correct and your calculations seem to be accurate. However, there may be a small error in your unit conversion. The correct answer should be approximately 4.5 x 10^6 Newtons, not 4.5 x 10^-6 Newtons. This is because the unit for distance in your calculation should be in meters, not kilometers. So the correct distance would be 1.5 x 10^8 meters, which when multiplied by the power of 675,000 Watts, gives an average force of 4.5 x 10^6 Newtons.

I hope this helps clarify the discrepancy between your answer and the one in the back of the book. Keep up the good work!

Related to How Is the Force of Sunlight Calculated on a Building's Roof?

What is an intensity problem?

An intensity problem is a type of scientific problem that involves measuring the intensity or strength of a certain phenomenon or variable. This can include things like light intensity, sound intensity, or even the intensity of a chemical reaction.

Why is it important to solve intensity problems?

Solving intensity problems is important because it allows us to understand and quantify the strength of various phenomena. This information can then be used to make predictions, analyze data, and make informed decisions in many different fields of science.

What are some common methods for solving intensity problems?

Some common methods for solving intensity problems include using mathematical equations, conducting experiments, and using specialized equipment such as spectrometers or decibel meters. These methods can vary depending on the specific type of intensity problem being addressed.

What are some real-world applications of solving intensity problems?

Solving intensity problems has many real-world applications in various fields of science and technology. For example, understanding the intensity of light can help improve solar energy technology, while measuring the intensity of earthquakes can aid in predicting and preparing for natural disasters.

How can I improve my problem-solving skills for intensity problems?

Improving problem-solving skills for intensity problems involves developing strong critical thinking and analytical skills, as well as gaining a solid understanding of scientific concepts and methods. Practicing with different types of intensity problems and seeking guidance from experts can also be helpful.