1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Internal resistivity, is this right?

1. Dec 21, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    To a source of current, one by one are added 2 resistances, first R1=1ohm, then R2=4ohm. In both cases, in the same period of time (t=t1=t2), the resistors give the same amount of heat (Q=Q1=Q2). Determine the internal resistance ("r" small r) of the electric source.

2. Relevant equations
    I=V/R

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found somewhere a formula which states: r=(V2-V1)/(I1-I2), so including the basic R=V/I into it would give: r=R2-R1, and the result will be 3ohm? looks too simple for an engineering problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2011 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

I don't see how that formula would apply here. What values would you use for the V's and I's?

Instead, assume that the current source consists of and ideal voltage source E and a series resistance r. Then work out the power dissipated in the attached resistors for the two cases described. What formulas do you know for the power dissipated in a resistor?

4. Dec 21, 2011 #3
    well, it looks tricky. here is a variant, which was suggested buy another guy on the internet:

5. Dec 21, 2011 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

One problem with the suggested solution -- the total external resistance for the two cases should be 1 Ω and 5 Ω if, as the problem statement says, one resistor is added at a time.

6. Dec 21, 2011 #5
    I think I translated it bad, 'cause I'm not English, but generally it's not added, this is the same power source, only resistors are changed, this is why we have 2 time values which are equal, but are not important, so they didn't gave us them. thanks for the idea :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook