Internal resistivity, is this right?

In summary, the two resistors attached to a current source dissipate the same amount of power when given the same amount of heat.
lymos

Homework Statement

To a source of current, one by one are added 2 resistances, first R1=1ohm, then R2=4ohm. In both cases, in the same period of time (t=t1=t2), the resistors give the same amount of heat (Q=Q1=Q2). Determine the internal resistance ("r" small r) of the electric source.

Homework Equations

I=V/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I found somewhere a formula which states: r=(V2-V1)/(I1-I2), so including the basic R=V/I into it would give: r=R2-R1, and the result will be 3ohm? looks too simple for an engineering problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
lymos said:

Homework Statement

To a source of current, one by one are added 2 resistances, first R1=1ohm, then R2=4ohm. In both cases, in the same period of time (t=t1=t2), the resistors give the same amount of heat (Q=Q1=Q2). Determine the internal resistance ("r" small r) of the electric source.

Homework Equations

I=V/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I found somewhere a formula which states: r=(V2-V1)/(I1-I2), so including the basic R=V/I into it would give: r=R2-R1, and the result will be 3ohm? looks too simple for an engineering problem.

I don't see how that formula would apply here. What values would you use for the V's and I's?

Instead, assume that the current source consists of and ideal voltage source E and a series resistance r. Then work out the power dissipated in the attached resistors for the two cases described. What formulas do you know for the power dissipated in a resistor?

gneill said:
I don't see how that formula would apply here. What values would you use for the V's and I's?

Instead, assume that the current source consists of and ideal voltage source E and a series resistance r. Then work out the power dissipated in the attached resistors for the two cases described. What formulas do you know for the power dissipated in a resistor?

well, it looks tricky. here is a variant, which was suggested buy another guy on the internet:

Total Resistance of 1st circuit = (x + 1)ohm
Total Resistance of 2nd circuit= (x + 4)ohm
Power dissipated by the resistor in 1st circuit =(total current)^2 * R1 = (V/(x+1))^2 * 1
Power dissipated by the resistor in 2nd circuit=(total current)^2 * R2 = (V/(x+4))^4 * 4
Because they have same quantity of heat released...
V^2/(x+1)^2 = 4V^2/(x+4)^2
1/(x+1)^2 = 4/(x+4)^2
4(x+1)^2 = (x+4)^2
4x^2 + 8x +4= x^2 + 8x +16
3x^2=12
x=2ohm or -2ohm(reject)
Wtf, I thought it was impossible lol, so I tried to prove you wrong, then I realized it was possible lol

One problem with the suggested solution -- the total external resistance for the two cases should be 1 Ω and 5 Ω if, as the problem statement says, one resistor is added at a time.

I think I translated it bad, 'cause I'm not English, but generally it's not added, this is the same power source, only resistors are changed, this is why we have 2 time values which are equal, but are not important, so they didn't gave us them. thanks for the idea :)

Related to Internal resistivity, is this right?

What is internal resistivity?

Internal resistivity, also known as specific resistivity, is a measure of how much a material resists the flow of electric current. It is a property that is unique to each material and is typically measured in units of ohm-meters (Ω·m).

How is internal resistivity different from resistance?

Internal resistivity is a property of a material, while resistance is a property of an object or component made of that material. Internal resistivity is used to calculate resistance by multiplying it with the object's cross-sectional area and dividing by its length.

What factors affect internal resistivity?

Internal resistivity is affected by the type of material, its temperature, and its physical structure. Generally, materials with high resistivity have tightly bound electrons, making it more difficult for current to flow through them.

Why is internal resistivity important?

Internal resistivity is important because it determines how well a material can conduct electricity. Materials with low resistivity are used in electrical wiring and components, while materials with high resistivity are used as insulators to prevent current from flowing.

How is internal resistivity measured?

Internal resistivity is typically measured using a four-point probe method, where four evenly spaced probes are placed on a material and a small current is passed through it. The voltage drop across the probes is then measured and used to calculate the resistivity of the material.