Inverting Op Amp Circuit: Calculating Output Voltage with Feedback Loop

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of writing the output voltage in terms of the input voltage for a circuit with a feedback loop. The conversation mentions using Ohm's Law and the basic properties of ideal op-amps to write equations for the current through the feedback loop, but is unsure how to eliminate both currents. It is suggested to explore other properties of op-amps and to correct a mistake in the feedback loop drawing. Additionally, it is mentioned that the influence of one resistance can be ignored due to the assumption of an ideal amplifier. Finally, it is proposed to set two voltages equal to zero for simplification.
AdkinsJr

Homework Statement

Write output voltage in terms of input voltages for the circuit drawn.

I drew the circuit and then feed back loop.
circuit-9_4 (1).png

Homework Equations

Ohms Law V=IR
Basic Properties of Op Amps (ideal), voltages are assumed equal at both inputs...

The Attempt at a Solution

The difficulty is that there should be two currents that need defining, but I'm not sure how to eliminate both of them. I wrote two equations for the current through the feedback loop and then equated to write Vout in temrs of the resistances and Va.

[tex]I_a = \frac{V_{out}-V_a}{R_2} [/tex]
[tex]I_a = \frac{V_a-V_{out}}{R_1}[/tex]
[tex]V_{out}=\frac{V_a-V_{in}}{R_1}R_2 +V_a[/tex]

I can't figure out how to write Va in terms of Vin and the resistances at this point. The only other relationships between Va and other quantities come from the fact that [tex]V_b=I_bR_3[/tex] which means that [tex]V_a=I_bR_3[/tex] also, but I still need to get rid of the current Ib now, so that doesn't help much. I can't figure out what I'm missing. Any help would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a mistake in the feed back loop in my drawing, the ground at the end of R2 should not be there, that should be Vout.

You've listed one useful property for the op-amp in a negative feedback situation. What other property might be useful?

Have a look on the second equation. Obviously, it is wrong (Vout mixed-up with Vin).
More than that, you can forget the influence of R3 (because an ideal amplifier with infinite input resistance is assumed). Hence, you can set Va=Vb=0.

What is an inverting op amp circuit?

An inverting op amp circuit is a type of electronic circuit that uses an operational amplifier (op amp) to invert the input signal. This means that the output of the circuit is the negative of the input signal. It is commonly used in amplifiers, filters, and other electronic circuits.

How does an inverting op amp circuit work?

An inverting op amp circuit works by using a negative feedback loop to control the output voltage. The input signal is fed into the op amp through a resistor, and the output is fed back into the op amp through a feedback resistor. This causes the op amp to amplify the input signal and then invert it, resulting in an output voltage that is the negative of the input voltage.

What are the advantages of using an inverting op amp circuit?

One of the main advantages of using an inverting op amp circuit is that it has a very high input impedance, which means that it does not draw much current from the input signal source. This makes it ideal for use in circuits that require a high input impedance, such as in audio amplifiers. Additionally, inverting op amp circuits have a very high gain, meaning they can amplify very small input signals.

What are the limitations of an inverting op amp circuit?

One limitation of an inverting op amp circuit is that it requires a dual power supply (positive and negative), which can add complexity and cost to the circuit. Additionally, inverting op amp circuits have a limited bandwidth, meaning they can only amplify signals up to a certain frequency. They also have a limited output voltage range, which may not be suitable for all applications.

How can I calculate the output voltage of an inverting op amp circuit?

The output voltage of an inverting op amp circuit can be calculated using the formula Vout = -(Rf/Rin)Vin, where Rf is the feedback resistor, Rin is the input resistor, and Vin is the input voltage. It is important to note that the output voltage cannot exceed the voltage limits of the power supply used in the circuit.