Ion concentration OF NaCl

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between conductivity and concentration of NaCl in water. The conductivity is approximately 0.5 times the concentration. There is also confusion about the change in concentration and its relation to the number of ions. The units used are microsiemens/cm, mg/L, g/L, and M.
leviathanX777

Homework Statement

For instance I have NaCl. I found a relationship between conductivity of NaCl in water and concentration of NaCl in the water. It's; conductivity is approx 0.5 concentration

Is it correct that the change in concentration gives the number of ions?

For example say I start off with conductivity of 100 microsiemens/cm and a concentration of 50 mg/L for the NaCl. At the end let's say I have 50 microsiemens/cm and a concentration of 25 mg/L.

25 mg/L = 0.025 g/L = 4.3 x 10^-4 Mol/L = 4.3 x 10^-4 M using the molar mass of NaCl of 58.44 g/Mol

Is the change in ion concentration 25 mg/L = 4.3 x 10^-4 M?

Or can you get an "actual" number change for example a change of 1000 ions let's say. Or is change in ion concentration always generally put in terms of M?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
leviathanX777 said:
I found a relationship between conductivity of NaCl in water and concentration of NaCl in the water. It's; conductivity is approx 0.5 concentration

Have you ever heard about units?

leviathanX777 said:
Is it correct that the change in concentration gives the number of ions?

No idea what you are talking about, but no.

For example say I start off with conductivity of 100 microsiemens/cm and a concentration of 50 mg/L for the NaCl. At the end let's say I have 50 microsiemens/cm and a concentration of 25 mg/L.

25 mg/L = 0.025 g/L = 4.3 x 10^-4 Mol/L = 4.3 x 10^-4 M using the molar mass of NaCl of 58.44 g/Mol

Is the change in ion concentration 25 mg/L = 4.3 x 10^-4 M?

Or can you get an "actual" number change for example a change of 1000 ions let's say. Or is change in ion concentration always generally put in terms of M?

Sorry, what you wrote makes completely no sense to me.

1. What is ion concentration of NaCl?

The ion concentration of NaCl refers to the measure of the number of ions (charged particles) of sodium and chloride present in a solution of NaCl.

2. How is ion concentration of NaCl calculated?

The ion concentration of NaCl can be calculated by dividing the moles of NaCl present in a solution by the volume of the solution.

3. What is the unit of measurement for ion concentration of NaCl?

The unit of measurement for ion concentration of NaCl is moles per liter (mol/L).

4. Why is ion concentration of NaCl important?

Ion concentration of NaCl is important as it affects the properties and behavior of the solution. It also plays a crucial role in various biological processes, such as osmosis, and is used in many industrial and scientific applications.

5. How does the ion concentration of NaCl affect the taste of food?

The ion concentration of NaCl, or salt, affects the taste of food by stimulating the taste buds on the tongue. It can enhance the flavor of food by balancing and enhancing other flavors, but too high of a concentration can also lead to an unpleasant, salty taste.