Solver: Writing Reactions & Net Ionic Eqns

• Thread starter inconceivable
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ionic
In summary, a chemical equation is a representation of a chemical reaction using symbols and formulas to show the reactants and products. To write one, you must identify the substances, balance the equation, and include physical states and coefficients. A net ionic equation is a simplified version that removes spectator ions and focuses on the participating species. To write one, start with a balanced chemical equation, remove spectator ions, and balance the equation. Writing net ionic equations is important for understanding the underlying chemistry, simplifying reactions, and predicting products and stoichiometry.
inconceivable
1. 12.53 mL of a 1.74 M solution of AgNO3 are mixed with 1.43 mL of a 9.63 M solution of MgI2. Write equations for the reaction, ionic and net ionic.

2. Usually they give the products of the reaction but in this case we have to figure out what is produced. Where do I start?

Thx

Physics news on Phys.org
With solubility rules. There is an obvious combination of ions present in the solution that gives insoluble salt.

--

for reaching out! I can provide you with the necessary information to solve this problem. First, we need to understand what is happening in this reaction. AgNO3 and MgI2 are both ionic compounds, which means they are made up of ions. When these two solutions are mixed together, a double displacement reaction will occur. This means that the ions in the two compounds will switch partners, resulting in the formation of new compounds.

To write the balanced equation for this reaction, we need to first identify the ions present in each compound. AgNO3 contains Ag+ and NO3- ions, while MgI2 contains Mg2+ and I- ions. When we mix these two solutions, the Ag+ ion will combine with the I- ion to form AgI, and the Mg2+ ion will combine with the NO3- ion to form Mg(NO3)2. The balanced equation for this reaction is:

AgNO3 + MgI2 → AgI + Mg(NO3)2

Now, to write the ionic equation, we need to separate all the ions that are present in the reaction. This will give us a better understanding of the individual components involved. The ionic equation for this reaction is:

Ag+ + NO3- + Mg2+ + 2I- → AgI + Mg(NO3)2

Finally, to write the net ionic equation, we need to cancel out any ions that appear on both sides of the equation. In this case, the NO3- and Mg2+ ions appear on both sides, so they can be cancelled out. The net ionic equation is:

Ag+ + 2I- → AgI

This is the simplified form of the reaction, showing only the ions that are directly involved in the formation of the product.

In regards to your second question, to determine the products of a reaction, we need to first identify the reactants and their chemical formulas. Then, we can use our knowledge of chemical reactions and their properties to predict the products. In this case, we know that double displacement reactions result in the formation of a precipitate, which is an insoluble solid. Therefore, we can predict that AgI will be the precipitate formed in this reaction.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the process of writing reactions and net ionic equations. Let me know if you have any further questions. Happy solving!

1. What is a chemical equation?

A chemical equation is a representation of a chemical reaction using chemical symbols and formulas. It shows the reactants on the left side and the products on the right side, separated by an arrow. Chemical equations are used to describe the starting materials and the resulting substances in a chemical reaction.

2. How do you write a chemical equation?

To write a chemical equation, you must first identify the reactants and products of the reaction. Then, write the chemical formulas for each substance on either side of the arrow. Next, balance the equation by making sure that the number of atoms of each element is the same on both sides of the equation. Finally, include the physical states of each substance (solid, liquid, gas, or aqueous) and any necessary coefficients to balance the equation.

3. What is a net ionic equation?

A net ionic equation is a simplified version of a chemical equation that only includes the species that participate in the reaction. This means that spectator ions, which do not actually participate in the reaction, are removed from the equation. Net ionic equations are useful for focusing on the important species involved in a reaction.

4. How do you write a net ionic equation?

To write a net ionic equation, first write the balanced chemical equation for the reaction. Then, identify the spectator ions by comparing the reactants and products. These ions can be removed from the equation, leaving only the species that participate in the reaction. Finally, balance the net ionic equation by making sure that the number of atoms of each element is the same on both sides of the equation.

5. Why is it important to write net ionic equations?

Writing net ionic equations is important because it allows us to focus on the essential species involved in a reaction. This can help us better understand the underlying chemistry and reactions that are occurring. Net ionic equations also help simplify complex reactions and make it easier to balance them. Additionally, they can be used to predict the products of a reaction and determine the stoichiometry of the reaction.