Is it possible to charge some batteries in this case:

In summary, it is possible to charge batteries with a 4W output power and 5V voltage DC in system shown in the video. The minimum power needed to charge the batteries depends on the flow rate of water, which should be at least 0.4 L/s. However, the efficiency of the water wheel and generator should also be taken into consideration. It is important to consider the cost of water and electricity when utilizing a water-powered system. Additionally, the stick up lights in the video are typically low power with a capacity of 0.5W and a lifespan of 100 hours on three AAA batteries.
Neunerrr
Hi, I would like to know if it is possible to charge some batteries in this case: 4W output power, 5 V voltage DC in system that is shown in this video:

Which is minimal power needed to charge batteries? Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

As long as the output voltage is higher than the battery voltage, it should be possible to charge batteries. The wattage just determines how fast they charge.

Even if the voltage is lower you can still charge a battery - it just makes the electronics you need more complicated and less efficient.

If we assume that the water comes out of the tap with zero pressure and falls 1m onto the water wheel the flow rate you need for 4W is at least...

Energy = mgh
Power = mgh/t
rearrange..
m/t = P/gh
= 4/(9.8 * 1)
= 0.4 kg/S = 0.4 L/S

A well designed waterwheel is about 75% efficient I think. The generator is probably about the same? So you can probably double that flow rate at least. Call it 1L/Second?

So perhaps budget 60L a min? 3600 L an hour?

Would be less if you utilised the pressure of the mains.

If you have to pay for water I'll let you work out which is cheaper water or electricity.

Years ago you could buy a water powered washing machine. Very wasteful of water. It may even be illegal to extract power from the water mains in some countries?

Likes Neunerrr
PS Those stick up lights in the video are usually very low power. It's hard to find data quickly because most adverts don't mention the power. The first one I found was 0.5W. Some sellers say they will work for 100 Hours on three AAA batteries. If those AAA cells have a capacity of 1.2AH then that works out at just 54mW (but don't believe that).

Related to Is it possible to charge some batteries in this case:

1. Can I charge non-rechargeable batteries in this case?

No, non-rechargeable batteries cannot be charged. Attempting to do so can be dangerous and may damage the batteries and the case.

2. What type of batteries can be charged in this case?

This case is designed to charge rechargeable batteries such as lithium-ion, nickel-metal hydride, and nickel-cadmium batteries. Make sure to check the manufacturer's instructions for specific compatibility.

3. How long does it take to charge batteries in this case?

The charging time depends on the type and size of the batteries, as well as the charging capacity of the case. It is recommended to refer to the manufacturer's instructions for estimated charging times.

4. Can I charge multiple batteries at once in this case?

Some cases may have the capability to charge multiple batteries at once, while others may only charge one at a time. Refer to the manufacturer's instructions for information on the specific case's charging capabilities.

5. Is it safe to leave batteries charging in this case overnight?

It is generally not recommended to leave batteries charging unattended or overnight. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and safety precautions when charging batteries in any case. Overcharging can lead to overheating and potentially cause damage or fire.