Is Solar Activity Decreasing and Causing Colder Winters in Britain?

In summary, the article from Express says that solar activity is going to fall in the next few decades, which will lead to colder winters in Britain. There is a small probability that this could happen this century, but it is outweighed by man-made global warming.
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
How did they measure or identify solar activity three hundred years ago?

Think they do that by looking at certain radioactive elements in tree rings.

There have been several reports that solar output is falling dating back to at least 2013. As I recall they say there is a small probability we could have a Maunder Minimum this century but it would only cause 0.1C reduction in global temperatures and man made global warming is predicted to be greater than that.

gleem said:
How did they measure or identify solar activity three hundred years ago?

Counting sunspots! I forgot about telescopes and the propensity of documenting everything. Although I doubt the meaning was appreciated. Today we have proxies for sunspot activity in Be7 concentration in the atmosphere and Be10 concentration in ice as well as C14. These isotopes produced by the reaction of solar radiation with O and N.

CWatters said:
There have been several reports that solar output is falling dating back to at least 2013. As I recall they say there is a small probability we could have a Maunder Minimum this century but it would only cause 0.1C reduction in global temperatures and man made global warming is predicted to be greater than that.

The Met Office-led study warns although the effect will be offset by recent global warming, Britain faces years of unusually cold winters.

I can not make my mind up, although I have read several articles that say Britain will be colder in the future.

With so little data of the correlation of sun spot activity and local regional temperature how sure can we be the the UK will indeed become noticeably colder.

Likes davenn
As I understand it El nino and la Nina have a greater impact on UK winters although I guess these might be linked to sun spot activity?

Edit: Google can find several papers showing a correlation with sun spot cycles but it doesn't seem to be a simple/direct correlation.

Okay: https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/releases/2015/solar-activity
This states that the met office (Britain's version of NOAA) indicated that researchers the published a paper in Nature Communications. To simplify - it was a 'what if?' kind of paper. They showed that IF we had a long weather incident caused by reduced solar output, it would not stop global climate change. We DO NOT have solar output diminution going on now as was the case during the Maunder Minimum of the Little Ice Age.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Ice_Age

I'm guessing Wolram wants to know if what we see is that solar "dimming" causing the incredible cold weather in Europe and the US.

What is causing it, according the wunderground web site, is that when the jet stream weakens it wanders both North and South. The southern intrusions cause cold air that is normally near the pole to move South into the Eastern US and Western Europe. It also allows warmer air from the south to move into polar regions causing extremely warm temperature, like last winter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_stream - see Rossby waves or meanders.

There is NO long term solar minimum going on.

Dendrochronology - tree rings - is a good source for past climate patterns, as are palynological studies of lake varves, and ice cores. Ice cores provide samples of atmospheric CO2 levels and pollen, tree ring data for the SW US is actually pretty complete for last several thousand years years. See this researcher at NAU describe using both: https://nau.edu/cefns/natsci/seses/faculty/routson/

And prediction of future 'Maunder Minimum' long period changes are not possible.

Last edited:
Likes davenn, Asymptotic and Astronuc
I think we should consider the subject closed, since the initial question was due to weak newspaper interpretation of a research statement.

Likes Astronuc and Greg Bernhardt

What is solar output?

Solar output refers to the amount of energy emitted by the sun in the form of electromagnetic radiation. This includes visible light, ultraviolet rays, and infrared radiation.

Why would solar output decrease?

Solar output can decrease due to several factors such as solar cycles, changes in the sun's magnetic field, and variations in the Earth's orbit and tilt. These changes can affect the amount of energy reaching the Earth's surface.

What are solar cycles?

Solar cycles refer to the periodic fluctuations in the sun's activity, which can lead to changes in solar output. These cycles last for about 11 years and are characterized by changes in the number of sunspots and solar flares.

How would a decrease in solar output affect Earth?

A decrease in solar output can have various impacts on Earth, including changes in weather patterns, disruptions in satellite communications and navigation systems, and changes in the Earth's climate. It can also affect the Earth's upper atmosphere and the ozone layer.

Is solar output constantly decreasing?

No, solar output is not constantly decreasing. It goes through cycles of both increasing and decreasing, which are influenced by various factors such as solar activity, Earth's position, and other external factors. However, some studies suggest that the long-term trend of solar output is decreasing.