Can temperature keep rising without limit?

In summary, there is no known upper bound to how hot something can be, but there does come a point where things are so hot that our understanding of physics breaks down. This does not mean that there is an infinite temperature, as there is always a limit based on the available energy and means to reach that temperature. The concept of temperature and heat are closely related and can be understood through further exploration of physics.
space unicorn
I'm curious...

Science news on Phys.org
There is no known upper bound to how hot something can be, but there does come a point where things are so hot that our understanding of physics breaks down.

Even though somethinng has no defined limit, that does not mean infinity.

How fast can you type?

Likes sophiecentaur
anorlunda said:
How fast can you type?
lkasjdhflkasjdhflkajsdhlksadjf!

Likes russ_watters
space unicorn said:
I'm curious...

Do you know the definition of "temperature", and subsequently, the concept of "heat"?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Do you know the definition of "temperature", and subsequently, the concept of "heat"?

Zz.
sooo...the answer is no?...

<< Mentor Note -- Poster has been reminded to answer the questions being asked of him in the thread, and to show more effort to help answer his question >>

Last edited by a moderator:
space unicorn said:
Depends on the question.

space unicorn said:

The answer is that there's no limit to how high of a temperature you can reach provided you have the required energy and means of reaching that temperature.

space unicorn said:

You were already given the answer by others in this thread. My question to you was to judge what you already know, since you never described this. I was hoping to build on top of the knowledge that you currently have and figure out if an explanation at the level that you can comprehend can be made.

But in this post alone, I've written way more than you have in all your posts in this thread combined. If you are not willing to put some effort into make such explanation, then I'm bowing out.

Zz.

Last edited:
Likes Vanadium 50

1. Is there an upper limit to temperature?

Yes, there is an upper limit to temperature known as the Planck temperature, which is approximately 1.416 x 10^32 Kelvin. It is the highest temperature that can exist in the universe according to our current understanding of physics.

2. Can temperature ever reach absolute zero?

No, absolute zero is the lowest possible temperature and is defined as 0 Kelvin. It is theoretically impossible to reach absolute zero as it would require the complete absence of all molecular motion.

3. Does temperature increase indefinitely?

No, temperature can only increase as long as there is a source of energy to heat an object. Once all available energy has been transferred, the temperature will remain constant or decrease.

4. Can temperature be negative?

Yes, temperature can be negative on a Kelvin scale, where absolute zero is the starting point. This is known as a negative Kelvin temperature and represents a state where particles have negative energy.

5. Is temperature the same as heat?

No, temperature and heat are related but not the same. Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a substance, while heat is the energy that is transferred from a hotter object to a cooler object.