Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is temperature infinite?

1. Jun 9, 2018 #1
    I'm curious....

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2018 #2

Drakkith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There is no known upper bound to how hot something can be, but there does come a point where things are so hot that our understanding of physics breaks down.

4. Jun 9, 2018 #3

anorlunda

Staff: Mentor

Even though somethinng has no defined limit, that does not mean infinity.

How fast can you type?

5. Jun 9, 2018 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

lkasjdhflkasjdhflkajsdhlksadjf!

6. Jun 9, 2018 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Do you know the definition of "temperature", and subsequently, the concept of "heat"?

Zz.

7. Jun 10, 2018 #6
    sooo....the answer is no?...

<< Mentor Note -- Poster has been reminded to answer the questions being asked of him in the thread, and to show more effort to help answer his question >>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2018
  8. Jun 10, 2018 #7

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

Depends on the question.

9. Jun 10, 2018 #8

Drakkith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The answer is that there's no limit to how high of a temperature you can reach provided you have the required energy and means of reaching that temperature.

10. Jun 10, 2018 #9

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You were already given the answer by others in this thread. My question to you was to judge what you already know, since you never described this. I was hoping to build on top of the knowledge that you currently have and figure out if an explanation at the level that you can comprehend can be made.

But in this post alone, I've written way more than you have in all your posts in this thread combined. If you are not willing to put some effort into make such explanation, then I'm bowing out.

Zz.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted