1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there a way to find out the theoretical stretch of an elastic band?

1. Feb 24, 2010 #1
    I'm in the middle of doing an experiment where I find the heat dissipation by hysteresis through the stretching of an elastic band. I have experimentally found out how much heat is dissipated, but I was wondering if there is a way to theoretically find out the dissipated heat, most likely by creating a graph of the theoretical lengths of loading and unloading. The elastic bands are stretched with great forces, so they have non-linear extensions thus Hooke's Law doesn't work. Are there any other possible solutions?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2010 #2
    I thought I could possibly use Poisson's ratio for rubber to calculate it, but I'm not sure what formula I could use. This might even just be too complicated for my level right now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook