Isobaric evaporation, why the temperature must be constant?

In summary, in the case of isobaric evaporation, the temperature must be constant because the pressure is constant. If the temperature changes, it will affect the conditions and make it difficult to take accurate measurements. Therefore, in order to maintain accurate measurements, both pressure and temperature must be kept constant.
Proust

Homework Statement

In case of an isobaric evaporation, why the temperature must be constant?

Homework Equations

I'm working on Mollier Diagram and my textbook says "because P is constant, so T is also constant", I coundn't understand it anyway

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm just guessing, but ...

if you allow a solvent to evaporate (say isobaric conditions), then by evaporating I think it will cool the remaining liquid, and this will change the conditions. So I'd say as well as maintaining pressure constant, you need to take steps to ensure the temperate of the liquid is held constant to make meaningful measurements.

1. What is isobaric evaporation?

Isobaric evaporation is a process in which a liquid changes into a gas at a constant pressure. This process occurs at the surface of the liquid and is influenced by temperature.

2. Why must the temperature be constant in isobaric evaporation?

In isobaric evaporation, the temperature must be constant because it affects the rate of evaporation. If the temperature changes, the rate of evaporation will also change, making it difficult to control the process. Additionally, a constant temperature ensures that the liquid is evaporating at a steady rate, allowing for accurate measurements and calculations.

3. How does temperature affect isobaric evaporation?

Temperature affects isobaric evaporation in two ways. First, it determines how much energy is available to break the bonds between molecules, allowing them to escape into the gas phase. Second, it affects the vapor pressure of the liquid, which is the pressure exerted by the gas molecules above the liquid. Higher temperatures result in higher vapor pressures, increasing the rate of evaporation.

4. What is the purpose of conducting isobaric evaporation?

Isobaric evaporation is commonly used in laboratories to purify substances, such as separating solvents from a mixture. It is also used in industrial processes, such as the production of ethanol, where a constant temperature is necessary to maintain a steady rate of evaporation.

5. How can the temperature be kept constant in isobaric evaporation?

The temperature can be kept constant in isobaric evaporation by using a heat source, such as a hot plate, and a thermometer to monitor the temperature. The heat source can be adjusted to maintain a constant temperature throughout the process. Additionally, using a water bath or insulation can help to prevent temperature fluctuations.