Isothermal Compression and Entropy Change

In summary: olar mass is needed to determine the number of moles, and without it, the entropy change cannot be calculated.
PShooter1337

Homework Statement

A 740g quantity of an ideal gas undergoes a reversible isothermal compression at a temperature of 330 K. The compression reduces the volume of the gas from 0.40 m3 initially, to 0.32 m3 finally. The entropy change of the gas is equal to:

A) -43 J/K B) -150 J/K C) 43 J/K D) 150 J/K E) 0 J/K

Homework Equations

ΔS = nR*ln(Vf/Vi)

The Attempt at a Solution

I actually know exactly how to solve this problem. The only thing is, I haven't been able to determine n, the number of moles, without being given the molar mass.
Is there some method to determine n that I'm missing, or has my prof omitted a vital piece of information (the molar mass)?

Physics news on Phys.org
PShooter1337 said:

Homework Statement

A 740g quantity of an ideal gas undergoes a reversible isothermal compression at a temperature of 330 K. The compression reduces the volume of the gas from 0.40 m3 initially, to 0.32 m3 finally. The entropy change of the gas is equal to:

A) -43 J/K B) -150 J/K C) 43 J/K D) 150 J/K E) 0 J/K

Homework Equations

ΔS = nR*ln(Vf/Vi)

The Attempt at a Solution

I actually know exactly how to solve this problem. The only thing is, I haven't been able to determine n, the number of moles, without being given the molar mass.
Is there some method to determine n that I'm missing, or has my prof omitted a vital piece of information (the molar mass)?
You need the molar mass.

AM

1. What is isothermal compression?

Isothermal compression is a process in thermodynamics where a gas is compressed at a constant temperature. This means that the energy of the gas remains constant throughout the compression, resulting in a change in volume and pressure.

2. How is the entropy change calculated during isothermal compression?

The entropy change during isothermal compression can be calculated using the formula ΔS = nR ln(V2/V1), where ΔS is the change in entropy, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and V2 and V1 are the final and initial volumes, respectively.

3. What happens to the entropy during isothermal compression?

The entropy of the gas decreases during isothermal compression, as the gas molecules become more organized and take up less volume. This decrease in entropy is due to the decrease in randomness of the gas molecules.

4. How does isothermal compression differ from adiabatic compression?

Isothermal compression occurs at a constant temperature, while adiabatic compression occurs without any heat exchange with the surroundings. This means that during isothermal compression, the energy of the gas remains constant, whereas during adiabatic compression, the temperature of the gas can increase.

5. What are some real-world applications of isothermal compression?

Isothermal compression is commonly used in the compression of gases in refrigeration and air conditioning systems. It is also used in the compression stages of gas turbines and in the compression of natural gas for transportation. In addition, isothermal compression plays a role in the formation of clouds in the atmosphere.